Noctis

Is Furious 7 giving the board unrealistic expectations about future films?

Beacause a SW movie would come under a Fast and Furious movie :lol: which would prove there are bigger franchises today.

Furious 7 is the biggest ticket seller since Avatar, meaning it's technically a bigger franchise as of now than any franchise out there (though we know this isn't true)

Id like to see SW gross 5B.

But if it merely does 1.3 ill think ill be fine. Might have to call a shrink....not sure.

yeah you may be on watch if it only makes $1.3 bil.  We will have the white jackets at the ready for you

• Like 3

Beacause a SW movie would come under a Fast and Furious movie :lol: which would prove there are bigger franchises today.

That's like saying Fast & Furious is a bigger franchise than Potter, Rings, Star Wars, etc

Which isn't true. 

Even if F7 trumps SW7 this year, Star Wars will still remain a bigger franchise and especially in cultural impact. 

• Like 4

That's like saying Fast & Furious is a bigger franchise than Potter, Rings, Star Wars, etc

Which isn't true. 

Even if F7 trumps SW7 this year, Star Wars will still remain a bigger franchise and especially in cultural impact.

The Empire was always about the fans and dem toys.

Lucas became filthy rich thanx to toys and licensing and a bit from the films.

It will be hilarious to see fanboys lose their mins when SW doesn't even hit 1.3B. "SW is the most popular frnachise ever blah blah blah" :rofl:  :rofl:

All I know is that if that happens, you will never shut up about. :P

• Like 1

Furious 7 will destroy Mockingjay: Part 2 at the box office, but the cultural impact of the latter will always be far greater.

In Thailand:

Protesters-in-Thailand-Adopt-Hunger-Game

thai-hunger-games-salute.jpg

In Hong Kong, used by pro-democracy protesters: 

hong-kong-hunger-games-salute.jpg

• Like 2

The prequels are a non-factor for anyone outside of the 18-30 range. 

And I doubt the PT is a negative factor for the majority of people in that group.

I was 11 when PM was released... and loved it as it is a pretty perfect movie for that age range.

Only when I went back to them in my early 20s I realized that it does not hold up at all for me personally and found out that at least within the SW community there was this huge disappointment going on. 

But for the majority of the GA in their 20s, the prequels are probably part of their child and teenage memories.

• Like 1

Yeah, some people are going crazy for a Star Wars movie, as usual but this franchise has a huge and fanatical fan base but it is not as big outside of its fanbase as some people make it out to be .

I agree.  Outside of it's fan base, it's not that big.

Thing is, the fan base is fucking massive.

I agree.  Outside of it's fan base, it's not that big.

Thing is, the fan base is fucking massive.

And even if you are not a major fan SW managed to still become a part of many people's child and teenage memories.

I was never 100% taken by the movies... and yet my brother and I spent much of our time aged 10-12 fighting each other with fake light sabers or playing Jedi Knight & Co as teenagers. There was simply something cool and fascinating about it no matter what you actually saw on screen.

When I will buy my tickets for SW VII it will be mainly due to these memories and not because I expect it to revolutionize cinema and not even because I expect it to be a very good movie. This is also the reason why any sort of bad press, bad marketing (though some less self-aware fan-serving marketing would be nice) or bad WoM won't matter... everyone I know who has some sort of positive SW memories is already decided to go and see VII - mostly with people they connect these memories with.

That is a bonus, of course, that will only live on if VII turns out to be a good movie... at least for non-fans such as me.

Edited by ShouldIBeHere
  • Like 1