Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

That's not an excuse. It's a ridiculously stupid article that Forbes should be ashamed of. Piss-poor journalism. And the fact that the author implies that DH2, TDKR, NM-BD2 had Thursday previews is beyond insane.

keep_calm_and_take_a_chill_pill_by_showd

• Like 1

Why shouldn't The Avengers 2 previews beat DH2 midnights ? This is a bigger franchise with more Thursday shows and the demand is obviously there. I will be disappointed if Thursday previews come under $35 million.

YA fanbase is considerably bigger than CBM fanbase. 

I really hope the boring numbers end here. Either go over the OW record or crash. Right now I am thinking 195-205M witch makes me sleepy. 

Could easily as get 220M+

Gitesh on CNBC right now, highly positive on the $27.6m. Says $100m OD is still in play, what is he smoking?

You seem completely blasé, I hope you're not young because that would be sad, even your pic is showing someone who seems blasé :P

It's a huge number, and this guy's projection is far from being unrealistic, get over it. ;)

Seriously underwhelming, I understand this movie skews younger but that bump is far from historic. Didn't even beat TDKR really.

Why anyone was expecting it to is beyond me. First off, it's fucking May, not mid-July. And "early preview showings" have never really had the buzz that the midnight releases had.

You seem completely blasé, I hope you're not young because that would be sad, even your pic is showing someone who seems blasé :P

It's a huge number, and this guy's projection is far from being unrealistic, get over it. ;)

Whatever you say person I don't know (or care).

Didn't beat TDKR with huge 3d/IMAX premium, get over it ;)

Seriously underwhelming, I understand this movie skews younger but that bump is far from historic. Didn't even beat TDKR really.

Recent bumps from Big Movies going from Midnight to early previews:

Breaking Dawn Part 1: 30,25m/138m OW

Breaking Dawn Part 2: 30,4m (10 PM Previews)/141m OW

The Hunger Games: 19,75m/152m OW

Catching Fire: 25,25m (8 PM Previews)/158m OW

Thursday night previews should stop counting as part of the weekend.

Why?

Previews are for fanboys/girls.  Anyone that goes to a Thursday preview would've gone over opening weekend so it does't invalidate the numbers.

Fanboys/girls love them because it gives them a chance to see their movies opening in a theater crowded with like minded fans.

I'm sure theaters love them because it spreads the craziness of a huge opening day into 2 nights. 

I'm sure studios love them because it starts the hype of a big opening earlier. ( can be a double edged sword )

win-win-win-win

With my work/family I'd never be able to go to a 12 showing so the earlier previews gives me a chance to experience one of the funnest nights in moviews. 

Well it could come close 

$27.6 million (previews)

$72.4 million Friday ($100 million) 

$76 million Saturday ($176 million)

$61.5 million Sunday ($237.5 million) 

$250 million would have required a $35-37 million preview # 

We have no idea how the weekend will play out. Maybe 76M Friday, 80M Saturday and 71M Sunday. Would be 254M OW.