Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Days of Future Past increased because it brought back the original cast (a la Fast & Furious 4) and had a novelty approach with the time-travel and blending both the new and old actors together, which like The Avengers was done to death in the comics but had never been done before onscreen.

Apocalypse doesn't have that. Its just the First Class cast again (for the last time) and mirroring other comic book/superhero tentpoles with mass scale destruction. Been there, done that. It being set in the early 80s is the only thing that's unique about it. And I say this as a huge Bryan Singer fan and someone who will be there opening night.

You are completely forgetting the fact that the magnet here is APOCALYPSE. This story of the X-Men is the one that many fans have been waiting for. Having new mutants like Jubilee and Gambit as well as Cyclops and Jean Grey is a good thing. This is going to be bigger than DOFP.

Could this potentially open a slot for another movie to enter the Top 2 for the year?

Everyone said AoU and SW7 were locked for top 2, but could something else get in now that the bar has been lowered?

SPECTRE :)

To me the film is miles ahead of IM2 but it felt like IM2, filler and build up for more. 

I think wth AOU the core fanbase still likely very much in favour of future films. 

Though the story was great, the reason why DOFP didn't really go to new heights is because it's Magneto all over again. People want to see something new. APOCALYPSE is new.

---

I want the other dinosaur movie to shock everyone.

Edited by kayumanggi

You are completely forgetting the fact that the magnet here is APOCALYPSE. This story of the X-Men is the one that many fans have been waiting for. Having new mutants like Jubilee and Gambit as well as Cyclops and Jean Grey is a good thing. This is going to be bigger than DOFP.

General public has no clue who Apocalypse is, and they are ones who make Days of Future Past the first X-Men movie in almost 10 years to break $200M domestic. It'll be bigger WW, I'll grant you. But domestically, this franchise has shown it has a roof.

• Like 1

And the fact that there will be 8 years of CGI gap in computing power between the first and second film.

Cameron has been the one pushing the boundaries of VFX since his first film.

The Avatar sequels will look otherwordly and outstanding. And story wise, he wants to do 4 films, it will be big sweeping epic and ambitious.

Cameron doesn t make just movies.

I think that's a hugely important distinction between Cameron and Whedon: as good as Whedon is with injecting his kind of humor into stories and choreographing interactions between multiple characters, he is still a hired hand that will do what Marvel tells him to do when they tell him to do it. And he will create a product that is within the parameters of what the studio deems acceptable, even if it's detrimental to his own vision. Cameron, on the other hand, will not rest until everything is absolutely perfect (according to his standards),and if it takes him forever and a billion dollars, he will create the product that he envisions. Luckily for the studios, Cameron's instincts are incredibly attuned to a populist storytelling sensibility that makes his stories and plots universal and relateable, which leads to high grosses, which leads to studios giving him carte blanche to do whatever he wants. Not to mention that he is a masterful storyteller  that doesn't waste any scene, any line, or any shot (everything in his movies moves the plot along).  Anyway, Avatar 2 will come out when Cameron wants, and the technology will be even more dazzling than in 2009, and the film will succeed or fail  on Cameron's storytelling instincts, which (no matter what detractors say) have not failed him so far. I feel that, at the end of the day, Cameron still has another top-five-of-all-time movie in him, and I would not be surprised if the sequel to Avatar outgrosses the original.

Edited by cochofles
  • Like 4

Though the story was great, the reason why DOFP didn't really go to new heights is because it's Magneto all over again. People want to see something new. APOCALYPSE is new.

Except Magneto wasn't the villain? Hell, he was arguably the hero and most rational character in the whole film.

The hook for Days of Future Past was never the villain (like it usually is with these flicks), it was the time travel.

Edited by filmnerdjamie

So who's still bitter that AOU just outgrossed their fave movie in a weekend?

Who's still bitter that HG, HP, and the others will never see Avengers money?

Have you ever seen a plateau?

Marvel is untouchable right now.  I don't think most of the Marvel films have been that good and yet they still continue to make huge coin.  A plateau?  Sure, but that doesn't mean they are on the decline.  You don't make 600 mill and have a 3 multiplier and not expect to come down.  It's just not possible.  And this is not hindsite on my part, been saying this for two years.

• Like 2

General public has no clue who Apocalypse is, and they are ones who make Days of Future Past the first X-Men movie in almost 10 years to break $200M domestic. It'll be bigger WW, I'll grant you. But domestically, this franchise has shown it has a roof.

That's why there is marketing. The only reason why I think APOCALYPSE might not make big numbers is competition in 2016 which is crazy.

Marvel is untouchable right now. I don't think most of the Marvel films have been that good and yet they still continue to make huge coin. A plateau? Sure, but that doesn't mean they are on the decline. You don't make 600 mill and have a 3 multiplier and not expect to come down. It's just not possible. And this is not hindsite on my part, been saying this for two years.

So you agree? Cool.

Edited by Chaz

I think that's a hugely important distinction between Cameron and Whedon: as good as Whedon is with injecting his kind of humor into stories and choreographing interactions between multiple characters, he is still a hired hand that will do what Marvel tells him to do when they tell him to do it. And he will create a product that is within the parameters of what the studio deems acceptable, even if it's detrimental to his own vision. Cameron, on the other hand, will not rest until everything is absolutely perfect (according to his standards),and if it takes him forever and a billion dollars, he will create the product that he envisions. Luckily for the studios, Cameron's instincts are incredibly attuned to a populist storytelling sensibility that makes his stories and plots universal and relateable, which leads to high grosses, which leads to studios giving him carte blanche to do whatever he wants. Not to mention that he is a masterful storyteller that doesn't waste any scene, any line, or any shot (everything in his movies moves the plot along). Anyway, Avatar 2 will come out when Cameron wants, and the technology will be even more dazzling than in 2009, and the film will succeed or fail on Cameron's storytelling instincts, which (no matter what detractors say) have not failed him so far. I feel that, at the end of the day, Cameron still has another top-five-of-all-time movie in him, and I would not be surprised if the sequel to Avatar outgrosses the original.

Don t forget that both Titanic and Avatar were huuuuuge gambles.

Fox sold the rights of Titanic to Paramount for the dom grosses to complete the budget, that s how cold feet there were on this disaster in the making.

And few knows that Fox actually abandonned Cameron during Avatar and that Cameron had to find other financial backers to complete the movie.

Fox didn t like the premise, the giant blue people and the eco friendly message. They just followed him on blind faith because of Titanic and the fact that he is their only mega star in house director since Aliens.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 1

That's why there is marketing. The only reason why I think APOCALYPSE might not make big numbers is competition in 2016 which is crazy.

There are only so many superhero movies people will pay to see, and BvS and Civil War will both have been huge before Apocalypse opens. I don't give it a boost either.

Edited by Chaz

Now that The Avengers has kept the record and even the hugely hyped Ultron will miss by 20 million.

What will? 

Will it stay for another two years

If it stays till 2017 it be longest held opening weekend record.

Who thought a opening weekend could stay for 5 years in this market? 

Edited by Lordmandeep