Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

If I was a Marvel fan....which I'm not....I would be complacent with anything above 170m. That would still mean that Marvel has the three biggest OWs of all time. Which is pretty huge.

It also raises the question....what will be the first non-Marvel film to open above 170m?

Edited by Lumos

I'm conceding now that Neo has won our bet.. Any time you want that name change, let me know..

BKB, I gotta say, much as we argue, you've taken this loss like a man. No spin and no excuses (minus the Rth thing). Took your punches like a champ. And no matter how much we disagree, I do respect the hell out of a man who can take his loss like that. Props.

'That doesn't mean I'm not still happy as shit to change your name after Neo, barring this growing miracle legs and pass TA1 domestically. Jordan4HumanTorch here we come!

This post is nonsense. You say "typically franchises don't peak with the first film", so how does that make it unrealistic to predict that Avengers won't peak with the first movie either?

You also said any sub $500M predictions were laughable. So you have zero room to talk about nonsense posts.

• Like 1

Somewhere I read it was PG-13. Yeah, nevermind. And you're right, 125 mil would be good for it, but that's still competition. 

Star Trek 2 and Furious 6 and After Earth did a combined $525 million. 

Mad Max, Tomorrowland and San Andreas could do a combined $350 million. 

Aloha will do $40-60 million, while NYSM did $120 million.

Great Gatsby and PP2 are comparable, though. 

Poltergeist and Hot Pursuit combined will make $100-110 million compared to Hangover III/Epic's $220 million. 

Avengers 2 has far more leg room than Iron Man 3. Therefore, it'll most likely have a better multi than IM3. 

I don't get why some people get mad that others find the opening to be disappointing

But John that's your secret you always seem to be disappointed

• Like 2

Only increased 0.5% on Saturday from the non-preview Friday number. All of the sport events must have had a pretty big impact, but it also seems the movie is just a lot more frontloaded for the weekend than any Marvel movie we've come across. Crazy to see.

I don't think Derby and NBA playoff game made that much of difference since they happen every year on May.   The NBA game with fight could have made a difference sense I read an article last night boxing is big in Hispanic communities in Texas and California, Which both of those teams in the playoffs and fight afterwards might have made a difference in those two areas.  The NBA game should not have affect the rest of the country. 

Edited by Snoopy of Suburbia

I don't get why some people get mad that others find the opening to be disappointing

I think they get mad at people who're happy about this 'disappointing' number? :lol:

AoU making less money means the value of the Iron Man character just shot up in value.

RDJ can probably afford to make a real life working Iron Man suit by the time he finishes playing Tony Stark! :wub:

As long as they don't let him take up all the spotlight I'm fine with it.. I love AOU because Tony Stark got less screen time. :)

LOL. Why would there be any spillover? High 50s is no where near capacity, and reports are saying in LA and the West coast especially that theaters took a big hit. 

Yes THE FIGHT. Will see what happens but Saturday took a big hit.

If I was a Marvel fan....which I'm not....I would be complacent with anything above 170m. That would still mean that Marvel has the three biggest OWs of all time. Which is pretty huge.

It also raises the question....what will be the first non-Marvel film to open above 170m?

I'd put my money on BvS

Only increased 0.5% on Saturday from the non-preview Friday number. All of the sport events must have had a pretty big impact, but it also seems the movie is just a lot more frontloaded for the weekend than any Marvel movie we've come across. Crazy to see.

+ the movie wasn't as good/enjoyable as the last one.

Are people really expecting the Sunday decrease for AoU to be really low? I'm sure the major fans already say it on Thursday night or on Friday. They wouldn't have waited until Sunday to see it. :blink:

You know not only fans watch movies, right?

But different movies rightfully have different expectations

It's a bunch of handwringing over numbers. Even with this "disappointing" opening, it's unlikely to directly affect Marvel's plans for the near future.

• Like 1