Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Marvel and disney will be a bit nervous about this opening weekend. I think it's obvious that Furious 7 kinda hurt Avengers 2 as it was a must see event movie and first out of the gate.

They will be a bit concerned next year..with BVS coming before Civil War and then in Fast 8 coming before Guardians 2 in 2017.

Calling it now that Guardians 2 will perform like Iron Man 2 domestically.

A film opening to 30 million on 300 million budget makes studios nervous. This does not

• Like 5

Marvel and disney will be a bit nervous about this opening weekend. I think it's obvious that Furious 7 kinda hurt Avengers 2 as it was a must see event movie and first out of the gate.

They will be a bit concerned next year..with BVS coming before Civil War and then in Fast 8 coming before Guardians 2 in 2017.

I still think that (if its good) Guardians 2 will perform like Dead Man's Chest. I don't think Fast 8 will hurt it as much as Star Wars though.
  • Like 1

You mean earn another 300M+?  I don't think Marvel/Disney would be crying over having a 300M grosser that doesn't involve Iron Man.

And thats how you do it.

Club-Penguin-%2525202013-02-0713%252520-

160.1M Fri-Sun.  

Adjusted multiplier for recent MCU films:

Cap2 - 2.94, yields 498.6M

Thor 2 - 2.53, yields 433.2M

IM3 - 2.48, yields 424.8M

TA - 3.20, yields 540.4M

Notably, AOU's previews make up a much larger share of the weekend than either of those 4:

Cap2 - 10.7%

Thor2 - 8.3%

IM3 - 9.8%

TA - 9.9%

AOU - 14.7%

Hope the WOM is exceptional because history would suggest a low-mid 400M finish.

• Like 1

If it's the same quality of Iron Man 2? Maybe.

If its legs are cut short by SW? Sure.

But just because another big movie comes out a few weeks before it? Nah.

Edited by JennaJ

I've been confident about Star Wars winning the year for a long time. Even if AoU had done 550 (it won't) I still would've been confident about Star Wars winning the year

It's the first movie in a new Star Wars trilogy! (Always the biggest ones.) It's been a decade! Return of Han and Luke! Cute rolling droid! Practical effects, which for some reason are a big selling point!

Feels like a perfect storm coming on

Don't forget Christmas. People are understating how much Star Wars has meant Christmas for a while with the marathons on TV along with getting Star Wars toys for Christmas. I can easily see Christmas being Star Wars' biggest day.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Ugh. Weekends like this remind me why I need to pay more attention to the wide world of sports. Sunday holds should be strong mostly across the board. Even Furious 7 only increased 18% yesterday. Very telling.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 7

2nd biggest OW is still a fantastic opening. Most of us here just set our expectations to high, so it is understandable some are going to be disappointed. Now, we just have to see how its legs develop. Could still hit 500M, but could just as easily miss it. This opening makes it more interesting to track in my opinion.

Edited by Empire Out
  • Like 3