Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

I came here to see Neo's meltdown and I'm dissapointed. :P

lol neo and i have had far bigger dissappointments will take alot to make neo unglued. lol. we can take our licking like a man. though av2 still can make 510-550 m so that aint anything to have a meltdown about. wonder how close ff7 and avengers will be ww. ff7 might make 1.4b ww. wowsers
  • Like 2

horrible saturday numbers, i hope the sunday drop will be better (due to depreciated saturday). I hope AOU reach the $500 mark domestically. It's a pity that a sequel to a very well receive film open lower

Disney must be giving up on AOU, I'm watching the Hawks Wizards on ABC and have seen ads for Ex Machina and Pitch Perfect 2. You know things are bad if they don't advertise their own movies on networks they own

• Like 2

Ugh. Weekends like this remind me why I need to pay more attention to the wide world of sports. Sunday holds should be strong mostly across the board.

hey hey shawn, at least its not as bad a shock as chicken and loudmouth mayweather. vs paq
  • Like 1

I'm conceding now that Neo has won our bet.. Any time you want that name change, let me know..

Had a few in mind, but down to 2 Dawn of BKB or Avatar>Avengers. Try the 2nd one if it doesn't work the other will be fine.

From Deadline:

Of those attending Ultron‘s first weekend, men turned up at 59%, females at 41% and the overall  majority being over 25 at 59%.

Imax contributed $18M stateside at 364 hubs. For Imax, that’s the second-highest bow at the domestic B.O. after The The Dark Knight Rises. It also beats Iron Man 3‘s $15.6M first Imax weekend, which now ranks as third.

Premium large format grossed a record $13.5M at 400 sites. Cinemark XD led the way with he total PLF gross of $3.5 million. RealD 3D rang up $56M repping a third ofUltron‘s opening weekend.

So the 3D share actually went up over the weekend to 47%.  

30% 3D, 10% IMAX, 7% Other Premium, 53% 2D.  This yields 18.2M tickets sold this weekend.  

• Like 2

I still think that (if its good) Guardians 2 will perform like Dead Man's Chest. I don't think Fast 8 will hurt it as much as Star Wars though.

That could very well happen. Regardless its going to move. Disney currently has two space operas opening in one month (that and Star Wars: Episode VIII) and that is suicide for both.

From Deadline:

So the 3D share actually went up over the weekend to 47%.  

30% 3D, 10% IMAX, 7% Other Premium, 53% 2D.  This yields 18.2M tickets sold this weekend.  

Did DH2 sell more tickets on OW? Lower 3D and IMAX share, and it did insane matinee business.

Marvel and disney will be a bit nervous about this opening weekend. I think it's obvious that Furious 7 kinda hurt Avengers 2 as it was a must see event movie and first out of the gate.

They will be a bit concerned next year..with BVS coming before Civil War and then in Fast 8 coming before Guardians 2 in 2017.

Calling it now that Guardians 2 will perform like Iron Man 2 domestically.

You're talking DOM or OS?

-FF7 got nothing on AOU DOM.

-BVS got nothing on CW OS.

-FF8 is going to be very very big in China but it won't increase everywhere else, however if GOTG2 is as sucked as IM2 it deserves the drop.

Slightly disappointing. $190m was the low end of my expectations.

Compared to every other film ever, it's still huge, obviously. Except Avengers (2012). Which I'm guessing Marvel will be ok with, getting beat by their own film.

Movies for which we now need to temper our expectations following AOU's OW.

- Rogue Nation domestic gross: Ghost Protocol got a great holiday run and never before seen IMAX stunts and rode great word of mouth, maybe Rogue Nation retains 80% of that

- SPECTRE WW gross: Skyfall was a legit freak performance

- Anything related to MockingJay 2: Do we really want a repeat of MJ1 (although the meltdowns were fun)

- Star Wars 7 OW: It is December

- BvS OW: Avengers 2 could not match Avengers, no way BvS does

- Civil War: Arriving a year after Avengers 2 without the Avengers branding

• Like 1

When all is said in done Age of Ultron is a better movie than The Avengers (by a WIDE margin) so I'll take that moral victory and disregard the lower numbers which were some degree expected.

• Like 2

Expecting +230m, semantics or not, is insane.

more theaters and 24m people sshowing is far from insane. folks just didnt show up. the super fight, the early wom of it being a bit of a letdown in quality vs the first film. not to mention the huge drain on peoples pockets of ff7 all took a toll. there are enought new thetheaters for 230m by far stingray. i disagree

Movies for which we now need to temper our expectations following AOU's OW.

- Rogue Nation domestic gross: Ghost Protocol got a great holiday run and never before seen IMAX stunts and rode great word of mouth, maybe Rogue Nation retains 80% of that

- SPECTRE WW gross: Skyfall was a legit freak performance

- Anything related to MockingJay 2: Do we really want a repeat of MJ1 (although the meltdowns were fun)

- Star Wars 7 OW: It is December

- BvS OW: Avengers 2 could not match Avengers, no way BvS does

- Civil War: Arriving a year after Avengers 2 without the Avengers branding

Also....

- Jurassic World OW & DOM total

• Like 2

People on here are going to be stunned when they see how big JW opens next month.

I'm still lowballing it until I get a trailer that wasn't the one released in December.

How will it not break the December record?   84 million?  Lol, ok dude.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doubled 84M tbh. I'll probably predict around 160 tho

I hope it starts with them bringing in Bucky, hopefully they won't go with the whole "who am I" thing and just have him accept his role, and let the movie go on from there.

Ugh. No, one of the biggest issues I had with Age of Ultron was how it discarded the end of Iron Man 3; I think doing the same with CA:TWS would just get me more and more pissed.

Lol I only hate Feige for not bringing that Black Widow movie come to life. I NEED IT TO HAPPEN.

Black Widow movie needs to never happen. The character is getting tired already; giving her her own movie will make it go quicker. <_<

Fans are quick to put directors on high pedestal, and even quicker at kicking them down to the pit bottom.

There are already many salivating over how the Russo bros will swoop in and save this Avengers franchise that Whedon "deliberately sabotaged". Apparently they will definitely make right all the terrible characterizations that Whedon did (nevermind that itt's the characterizations that were so praised in TA) cause of course, they know how to write characters better, as evidenced in CA2. Oh wait...

It's just hilarious and sad really.

TBF, I feel like Black Widow and Cap both had better characterization in Cap 2 than AoU  :ph34r: That said, I'm curious how they'll handle Tony and Hawkeye, let alone establishing T'Challa.

• Like 1

So I've been going through this thread, and a few people are questioning whether or not the world of sports had an impact on the Box Office. They claim that if sports did have an impact on Saturday, then the Sunday drop of TA2 would be way better.

For starters, I'm pretty sure TA2 actually does have a good Sunday hold. Moreover, I don't think people get the way that sports impact an ordinary person's weekend. Because I watched the Spurs/Clippers game last night, I have a lot of work to do today. And whatever free time I have will not be spent watching another 3-hour event. The same could be true for many people who watched the game, the fight, or both yesterday. Also, it's extremely important to remember that those who watched the fight paid $100 to watch it (I'm sure many split the bill, but it still probably came out to like $20-$30 to watch it). When you spend that type of money on entertainment, you don't want to spend $10-$15 on another piece of entertainment, especially if you can catch that entertainment next weekend or when it eventually comes out on DVD/Netflix.

Overall, I'd say that sports definitely had a massive impact this weekend, and anyone questioning it needs to reconsider his/her stance.

• Like 5