Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M  on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend).  An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M.  Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

:ph34r: 

I still aren't buying the number. With a film this crazed, anything can happen. I'll wait and take it seriously tomorrow.

• Like 2

Update, 1:22PM: Industry box office estimates see Disney’s Marvel Avengers: Age of Ultron on track for a $87M opening Friday at the domestic B.O., inclusive of yesterday’s $27.6M receipts. That would make Ultron the second highest opening day of all-time behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II which made $91.07M  on its first Friday (on its way to a $169.2M weekend).  An $87M first Friday for Ultron also pegs it ahead of first installment Avengers which made $80.8M. The industry estimate for Ultron opening weekend is currently $213M.  Again, these figures become harder as cash drawers close out into the evening.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

Under 200M here we come.

I've been saying this for a while. If this doesn't break the OD record, some people will call it a disappointment even though it's still gonna have at least the second-biggest opening OF ALL TIME. If this was any other movie, everybody would go crazy about that number, but for AoU it's a disappointment?

picard-facepalm.gif

• Like 2

A 1:30pm prediction of 87M can actually mean a swing of 10% in either direction if the modeling is even slightly off. Will be interesting to see how the numbers evolve over the rest of the day.

• Like 1

When I saw AoU in IMAX I got:

Tomorrowland

Spy

Jurassic World

Inside Out

Terminator Genisys

Ant-Man

Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation

and finally Star Wars.

Edited by C00k13

The first-day numbers for “Age of Ultron” look to come in between $89 million and $98 million — which could break the $91 million opening day record set in July 2011, by Warner Bros.’ “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/avengers-sequel-huge-at-box-office-may-break-originals-record-1201485734/

• Like 1

I also got what seemed like 30 second tv spots for jurassic world and tomorrowland. which was weird considering they were wedged in between the actual trailers for mad max and star wars, but also super considerate because I didn't wanna sit through 150 seconds of jurassic world and tomorrowland.

LOL, Variety. STFU and siddown until you give us a decent range.

I also got what seemed like 30 second tv spots for jurassic world and tomorrowland. which was weird considering they were wedged in between the actual trailers for mad max and star wars, but also super considerate because I didn't wanna sit through 150 seconds of jurassic world and tomorrowland.

I thought all you IMAX people were saddled with the 6-min TOMORROWLAND sequence.

$87m means it's performing a touch below TA1... they're saying it does $60m Friday.

Seems a touch disappointing, though I assume the numbers'll trickle higher as the west coast evenings hit strong.

Its not even 2PM PST. Take it easy.