antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

30 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Btw, there need to be more movies involving journeys through rivers. They all seem to have hypnotic qualities about them. Apocalypse Now, Aguirre, Night of the Hunter, Lost City of Z... Even the goofy Anaconda had a hypnotic Jon Voight performance.

Without a paddle is an absolute Gem.

I do like The Edge too

3 hours ago, The Stingray said:

Btw, there need to be more movies involving journeys through rivers. They all seem to have hypnotic qualities about them. Apocalypse Now, Aguirre, Night of the Hunter, Lost City of Z... Even the goofy Anaconda had a hypnotic Jon Voight performance.

Also, Deliverance and... The River

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goffe said:

You will love it 💯. Last act felt like Under the Skin, which I’m sure is your jam.

And you’ll hate it and write rants about it until the end of the times. 

Also yeah, any time they were inside an office, house or any interior really it felt like it cost 5 dollars. Garland abusing computer-generated lens flares like he’s a film student made it all look even cheaper. 

The interior area of the opening area of the climax was actually hand molded. That's not CGI

I just saw this movie last night. On Netflix. I understand why this didn't do well in the box office. It's not exactly the most movie-friendly film. But my god, this movie excels so much in the technical aspects of film. It's sad because when movies like this fail in the box office, there will be less demand to have it done in the big screen.

2 hours ago, weyweywey said:

I just saw this movie last night. On Netflix. I understand why this didn't do well in the box office. It's not exactly the most movie-friendly film. But my god, this movie excels so much in the technical aspects of film. It's sad because when movies like this fail in the box office, there will be less demand to have it done in the big screen.

This is definitely suited for netflix. I would have disliked this film if i paid to see it in the cinema

The movie felt weird, not because of the subject matter per se, but because I could dislike it then being fascinated from scenes to scenes at a mood swing. (Natalie Portman is my Michelle Monaghan so I was stringing along thanks to the story and direction more than the actress...).

It alternates between mediocrity (The actors felt like stuck in a bad Black Mirror episode for a good chunk of the first act), unsettling body horror (that oddly reminded me of...Relic more than Alien or The Thing) and striking imagery all the while running wild on allegories and metaphysical musings.

I felt like watching a scifi milkshake put in a blender and then served back to us regurgitated through Garland's POV. (I can picture enamoured critics going "OMG, that's so meta!" on a surface level)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Thanks 1

Now that the film has released on Netflix around the world, more write-ups/analyses are popping up. Another good read for those who have seen and appreciate the film:

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/03/12/the-transformative-dream-of-annihilation/amp

Almost wishing Canada had it on Netflix so I can watch it again, but I'm glad we got it in theatres so I could watch it on the big screen.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 2