antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

12 minutes ago, AndyK said:

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't any time soon due to illness, so if anyone could enlighten me as to what that means in a spoiler, I'd be obliged.

Not really a spoiler. He's a producer on the film who freaked out that the movie apparently was "too confusing" for differences.

I guess it does have kind of a "high concept" hook that could belie how weird it ends up getting. My guess is it happened when he got his first glimpses at the horror imagery.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

When everything is set and done will Paramount lose much money over this? How much did they sell the overseas rights to Netflix? Awesome movie btw.

They may not lose much at all. Supposedly the OS rights covered the bulk of the production budget. It doesn’t feel like they spent a ton on marketing, though obviously they did to some degree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Godzilla said:

When everything is set and done will Paramount lose much money over this? How much did they sell the overseas rights to Netflix? Awesome movie btw.

Really hard to tell without knowing how much Netflix paid for it, there is a lot of money in intl tv (a movie the size of Deliver Us From Evil for example made 28m on the intl tv market, 12 on intl home entertainment) so I imagine it could be a good amount.

Not sure if the rumors changed since but :

http://screencrush.com/producers-battle-annihilation-netflix-deal/ (not sure if SC any reliable, but financing half for international is quite common)

And that’s where the Netflix deal came in. The streaming giant has agreed to pay for half of the film’s $55 million production budget — that’s cheap for an ambitious sci-fi blockbuster, and hardly makes Annihilation a “risk.” Still, Netflix has taken international distribution rights and will release the film 17 days after it opens in theaters, on February 23. As part of the deal, Annihilation will only play in theaters in the U.S., Canada and China, thus losing some potential international box office; a move that seems counterintuitive.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/annihilation-how-a-clash-between-producers-led-a-netflix-deal-1065465

The deal calls for Netflix to cover a good chunk of the production budget, which is in the $55 million range.

With a rather limited P&A budget it did seem, by cutting world releasing cost so much hard to tell, try to find some equivalent in the Sony leak there is a list of movie with a lot of market sold in advance (american hustle for example that was breaking even at just 40m, but they had a 42m domestic release planned, Monument men that had Fox deal with International had a break even point at 73m with a 75m budget and a 52m release), usually at those budget in the past if you could get close to pay back theatrical distribution you will end up making money (home ent + home tv being a bigger revenue sources), but why that Netflix deal probably impacting those windows I really do not know.

5 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Not to the public. Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time I watched a movie with the general public.

I’m still confused how you watched this.  Is this not straight to Netflix in the UK and not being released for another 15 days or so?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I’m still confused how you watched this.  Is this not straight to Netflix in the UK and not being released for another 15 days or so?

Sure, but why would I wait when I can see it earlier? I'm not going to try and explain the details of an STSL, I've already stated in prior posts that it's not my job to educate you. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

Sure, but why would I wait when I can see it earlier? I'm not going to try and explain the details of an STSL, I've already stated in prior posts that it's not my job to educate you. 

Is it even being offered on an STSL basis here in the UK? Do Curzon not have an exclusive on this? (maybe they don't because it's not a 'global original' like Mute, Okja, Bright etc.) 

Edited by antovolk
  • Like 1