kayumanggi

WEEKEND ESTIMATES | 05.08.15 - 05.10.15

"I think the majority of audience thought Avengers 2 was a reasonable step down from Avengers 1."

Does that mean it's garbage, just means the perseption overall is that it is not as good.  I have no personal agenda against any film. I preferred Avengers 1, but that's my opinion, thought it was much more enjoyable. It's hard to make a comment or observation about box office numbers or market trends without being acused of being some kind of troll or have an agenda against a specific movie, especially when it's a series of film's that people are invested in.

I don't have much investment emotionally to any mcu movies but I don't think you can simply say 'OS audiences are still too slow to detect inferiority in products that got rejected by the US audience' without offending some OS members. To be honest I wish US audience would be more like OS audience just to make DOM B.O. more alive.
  • Like 2

TDKR's 2d 450m 3 years back, seems even more imressive than it is. and a drop off from 533m seems way more ok after TA2 and MJ1.

Could have finished higher without that massacre thing. But let's not talk about that. lol

• Like 2

The statements certain people are making now just don't correspond to the predictions they made earlier. To the question, "Will TA2 open to more than 210m?", the mighty Telemachos answers Yes. The all-knowing baumer predicts a total gross of more than 550m. But now, like the mightiest of all, they all move in mysterious ways.

As Dr. Phil would say, the Nile ain't just a river in Egypt. :)
  • Like 1

Has anyone considered that TA1 may be the overperformer here? It did something completely new and revolutionary in bringing all these superheroes together for the first time. Perhaps AoU's gross is just a regression to the norm.

Nepal earthquake is also fresh in the minds of the audience.

They don't want to see more death & destruction as a

form of entertainment. The final scene where the whole city

is wrecked to pieces is just too disturbing in light of

Nepal.

The statements certain people are making now just don't correspond to the predictions they made earlier. To the question, "Will TA2 open to more than 210m?", the mighty Telemachos answers Yes. The all-knowing baumer predicts a total gross of more than 550m. But now, like the mightiest of all, they all move in mysterious ways.

As Dr. Phil would say, the Nile ain't just a river in Egypt. :)

lol, you have to say it like, "Denial ain't just a river in Egypt." 

• Like 3

Nepal earthquake is also fresh in the minds of the audience.

They don't want to see more death & destruction as a

form of entertainment. The final scene where the whole city

is wrecked to pieces is just too disturbing in light of

Nepal.

Sadly more Americans care more about Bruce Jenners sex change than the Nepal earthquake. That had no effect at all. It womt effect San Andreas either.

• Like 4

You need to go to goddamn bed right now!!!! There's NO fun in this, you hear me??? NO FUN.. :rant: 

LOL I was talking about the numbers but I get it. Good night CJohn.

I had just wake up at the time  :ph34r:

Shows that $500M is never a lock. Even with todays higher inflation, $500 is still a staggering number. While SW7 will likely pass it, we cant call it a lock either. Even $400 s a stretch. Already seeing BvS and "Cap" 3 are locks for $400...no theyre not. Gotta keep in check and stop speaking with such certainty. Like, forreal.

Finding Dory though... :ph34r:

I personally find this performance disappointing. Sure SM2 decreased but not as much as this

SM1 was the first major superhero movie and it had all the hype due to being the first.

Despite that, SM2's drop was very small and it is the best superhero movie till date for many of us. Meanwhile AOU is a big downgrade in quality from Avengers.

Chilling at Starbucks with a moccha grande waiting for next film to start ! I just watched a movie with Kate Winslet and alan rickman "les jardins du roi" about the gardens construction at versailles its rickman first film in a while since being busy with HP films it was great a reunion of sort for the actors since sense and sensibility and now I'm going to see another reunion kevin kline and Kristin Thomas Scott since life as a house

later box office debbie downers!!!

SM1 was the first major superhero movie and it had all the hype due to being the first.

No, it wasn't. Superman '78 and Batman '89 both say hello. Spider-Man was the first major one of the 2000's, though X-Men would probably try to make a claim for that.

I wouldn't call it financially disappointing just yet (artistically yes). The opening was never going to match the first, no matter what people here think. And a 60% 2nd weekend drop is fairly normal these days for record-breaking openers. It doesn't mean good word of mouth, but it doesn't mean bad either. Its performance following this weekend will tell the tale. 

I'm also not so certain why we're still prioritizing domestic grosses so much when it's plainly obvious that the studios aren't.