kayumanggi

LOVING | 11.04.16 | Universal | final gross ● 7.71 M

Deadline reports that Australian actor Joel Edgerton (Zero Dark Thirty) and Ruth Negga (Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D) will star in the next film from director Jeff Nichols. The drama titled Loving is scheduled to begin production in September in Virginia and is inspired by the documentary The Loving Story whose director, Nancy Buirski, will help produce. The story is about the couple, Mildred and Richard Loving, from the landmark civil rights case Loving v. Virginia which struck down all laws prohibiting interracial marriage. This will be Edgerton’s second consecutive time working with Nichols as he also starred in the director’s latest, yet-to-be released film Midnight Special.

Edited by kayumanggi

4 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Trailer editing seemed a bit choppy.

Also kinda hard imagining Nick Kroll in a normal dramatic role.

But it does have Marton Csokas chewing scenery @CJohn

I already bought my ticket. 

6 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

The real life couple had the perfect last name for their story and case. 

It's not like they were the first inter-racial couple banned from getting married.  It's known that the NAACP would choose cases to push that they felt would get the most traction and attention.  Like Rosa Parks wasn't the first person arrested for bus segregation but the other person was allegedly "too dark" and not "respectable" enough for their case. 

Not taking anything away from the couple and the landmark case but I imagine that NAACP couldn't believe their luck when this case came to them. Having a white man and a light skinned black women was the easiest to work with and like literally the perfect last name. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, ban1o said:

It's not like they were the first inter-racial couple banned from getting married.  It's known that the NAACP would choose cases to push that they felt would get the most traction and attention.  Like Rosa Parks wasn't the first person arrested for bus segregation but the other person was allegedly "too dark" and not "respectable" enough for their case. 

Not taking anything away from the couple and the landmark case but I imagine that NAACP couldn't believe their luck when this case came to them. Having a white man and a light skinned black women was the easiest to work with and like literally the perfect last name. 

It was a different time. Even the right side, NAACP in this instance, had to apply some double standards to actually get shit done. It was smart to choose the easiest cases. That was the fastest method of making real headway, while still ensuring the same result and benefits for everyone in the long run.

• Like 2