Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

Really amazed that this forum still doesnt understand how much a joke CS is. We go through this with every big opening, even though its commin knowledge CS is only 4 theaters, likely all in LA.

It-means-nothing.

I think CS means something only if it's extremely high like A+, or extremely low, like C-

http://deadline.com/2015/05/pitch-perfect-2-kicking-mad-maxs-box-office-booty-on-track-for-60m-debut-1201428039/

1). Pitch Perfect 2 (UNI), 3,473 theaters / $25M Fri. / 3-day cume: $62M to $65M / Wk 1

2). Mad Max: Fury Road (WB), 3,702 theaters / $16M to $17M Fri. / 3-day cume: $42M to $43.8M / Wk 1

3). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 4,276 theaters (0) / $10.2M to $10.5M Fri. / 3-day cume: $37M+ / Total cume: $370.2M / Wk 3

4). Hot Pursuit (WB/MGM/NL), 3,037 theaters (+34) / $1.6M Fri. / 3-day cume: $5.6M to $6.2M (-59%) / Total cume: $23.4M / Wk 2

5). Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 (SONY), 2,632 theaters (-569) / $850K to $900K Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.5M to $4M / Total cume: $62.8M / Wk 5

6/7).  Furious 7 (UNI), 2,238 theaters (-301) / $950K to $1M Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.4M to $4.1M / Total cume: $343.8M/ Wk 7

The Age of Adaline (LGF), 2,623 theaters (-447) / $1M+ Fri. / 3-day cume: $3.4M to $4M / Total cume: $37M to $38M / Wk 4

8). Home (FOX/DW), 2,006 theaters (-489) / $500K Fri. / 3-day cume: $2.2M / Total cume: $165.4M / Wk 8

9). Ex Machina (A24), 1,718 theaters (-286) / $799K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.8M / Total cume: $19.2M / Wk 6

10). Far From The Madding Crowd (FSL), 289 theaters (+190) / $335K Fri. / 3-day cume: $1.3M / Total cume: $2.6M

Top 10 162.2m, last year 167.4m.

AOU seems to be tracking between 8-10% ahead of IM3. Basically looking at a 445-455M finish for a 2.32-2.36X multiplier in the end depending on holds toward the end of its run. Disney may push it to the 450M mark for milestone purposes.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

Deadline is reporting $27 million for PP2. It can possibly reach $70 million with that number if Saturday is strong enough.

Women are a serious demographic.

No wonder Hollywood caters to them more and more.

Especially white women.

So the first Pitch Perfect did 65m total. The sequel is going to open to that amount. What the hell is going on

will the legs go off a cliff, or will this be a force for a few weeks?

Just read the article about IMAX for Infinity War. The camera is 2D and yet they're going to ruin it with another 3D conversion. Really dislike how IMAX doesn't believe in 2D shows anymore and dislike even more the shitty conversions by studios.

Seriously? Wow that just killed whatever (little) excitement I had about the IMAX cameras. To be honest I didn't have much excitement to begin with, seeing that it's a digital camera, and not a 100% IMAX one, merely a modified Arri Alexa camera. Still have a decent level of excitement for the films, only because the Russo Brothers impressed me so much with Winter Soldier.

Yeah, I agree with you there, but sadly IMAX is seeing a lot of dollar signs in their eyes without high regard for much else. IMAX should be praying on their knees to Nolan, as he literally revitalized IMAX as a company with his use of IMAX cameras, and the subsequent success Nolan's films had that employed the cameras. This started a small (sadly mainly 3D) IMAX trend among some directors.

As of now, only directors like Nolan and Kosinski are actually pushing IMAX 2D. For absolute IMAX quality though, it's literally only Nolan, as his entire production workflow is based around maintaining as much of that IMAX quality as possible.

Edited by Gonk

So the first Pitch Perfect did 65m total. The sequel is going to open to that amount. What the hell is going on

The Austin Powers effect. First movie becomes a surprise hit and picks up steam on home video, gets into the pop culture conversation and leads to a huge opening for the sequel.

• Like 3

Miller'd be an interesting choice for a F&F movie. Doubt he'd be up for it, though.

His response would likely be "Why? I did it already. With REAL cars. Neener, neener."

(I may have made that last part up.)

He'd probably be more interested in seeing if Vin or The Rock fancied a vacation to the Namibian desert. If you know what I mean.