Alpha

Weekend Thread | Weekend Estimates: PP2 - $70.3M, MM:FR - $45.5M, TA2 - $38.84M

I always like how people throw in marketing when they want to present a box-office run negatively and ignore it for the opposite reasons. Something like FURY ROAD isn't going to be a giant hit, but it's going to have a long run in ancillary revenue streams and probably ends up being profitable for WB.

• Like 2

I always like how people throw in marketing when they want to present a box-office run negatively and ignore it for the opposite reasons. Something like FURY ROAD isn't going to be a giant hit, but it's going to have a long run in ancillary revenue streams and probably ends up being profitable for WB.

Forget marketing, all of a sudden budget talk shows up as well, and then how much a studio will get from China as opposed to other countries and then exchange rates, and finally "Your expectations were wrong, nothing went wrong with the movie's box office run".

• Like 1

His DOM total seems pretty obvious to me. We just have to look at Lucy and Kingsman. 

Its all local really.

Fast 7 was biggest opening day at certain theaters around me handily. 

Bigger then Batman , TA, DH2 everything. 

None of those film had sold shows from 11am till the evening on opening day.

What theater are u talking about and how are u so dialed in? U work at a strip club or own it or whatever....sohow do u get your info?

Man, looking at the schedule I realize this summer looks poised to be red hot at the box office, with a good chance for at least 1 40m+ opener  every single weekend until the 8/14 weekend, excluding maybe the July 4th weekend since those are Wed openers.  Some OW predictions for the rest of summer:

5/22 - Tomorrowland - $50-55m

5/29 - San Andreas - $40-45m

6/5 - Spy - $40-45m

6/12 - Jurassic World - $130-150m

6/19 - Inside Out - $60-70m

6/26 - Ted 2 - $60-70m

7/10 - Minions - $90-110m

7/17 - Ant Man - $60-75m

7/24 - Pixels - $40-50m

7/31 - Mission Impossible - $70-80m

8/7 - Fantastic Four - $35-45m

• Like 1

i didn't mean both pitch perfect and mad max having 50/50 gender splits in the same weekend, you're right that that's extremely unrealistic. and i'm talking more about society teaching boys and girls that it's ok to like things that aren't "for" your gender, and then that carrying over to all aspects of like including movies, rather than movies doing marketing any differently. an outside-in approach, not inside-out.

evil system this, controlling society that 

sigh.gif

What is so appealing about Tomorrowland? And Clooney isnt exactly the biggest draw. Im very skeptical about a 50 mill 4 day.

• Like 2

What is so appealing about Tomorrowland? And Clooney isnt exactly the biggest draw. Im very skeptical about a 50 mill 4 day.

Disney machine/family film for Memorial day holiday/Clooney is at least somewhat of a draw/tracking suggesting 50m OW/Early reviews look decent/theme park tie in might be a draw for some fan of the parks.

50M won't happen. Clooney is not to blame here. It is the poor marketing. 

Yeah I'm not convinced about Tomorrowland doing at all well. For the summer game I had it at something like 50/170 but I was assuming the marketing would ramp up for the few weeks before release. 5 days to go now and the marketing seems non existent. (Maybe that's just me though)

Clooney might not be to blame but hes not exactly a name that gets people to come out.

No, he doesn't, but nowadays not many (if any) are.

• Like 1

This seems like it'll be one of those times where people blame the marketing even though the movie itself is the problem

Like Pac Rim

Pacific Rim had the most laughable marketing campaign ever. It's fucking amazing that it managed to open as high as it did.

Disney machine/family film for Memorial day holiday/Clooney is at least somewhat of a draw/tracking suggesting 50m OW/Early reviews look decent/theme park tie in might be a draw for some fan of the parks.

Disney machine can't launch anything outside Animation, Pixar, Marvel (and SW)

• Like 1

This seems like it'll be one of those times where people blame the marketing even though the movie itself is the problem

Like Pac Rim

PR's marketing campaign was awful besides the final trailer that was released one week before the movie.