grim22

Monday numbers Rth: Mad Max #1 with 5.3M, PP2 5.21M AoU 3.4M #AnUpsetForTheAges

So AOU is probably going to be the third or fourth, possibly the fifth highest grossing film of all time.

And you guys are disappointed in that?

I think it's more relative to expectations. In abstract, it's a solid gross, but compared to TA1 or F7 it's just kinda meh. Like the quality of the film, really.

It's 1.5 billion dollars of meh.

GODZILLA's a great example. $200m would've been considered a pretty good result, back a few months before it opened. But after its OW, $200m was seen as shit.

Money's money. Doesn't matter how quick or slow it takes to get there.

Do studios still get a larger percentage of the gross on opening weekend than later weekends? I seem to remember that huge openings were better for them than long legs.

How many action pics openend recently the week before Memorial Day?

There's typically one every year. Godzilla. STID. Battleship, PotC: OST. It's a pretty common weekend to try and drop blockbuster potentials, because the holiday means a softer second weekend drop.

I think it's more relative to expectations. In abstract, it's a solid gross, but compared to TA1 or F7 it's just kinda meh. Like the quality of the film, really.

It's 1.5 billion dollars of meh.

It's a twisted state that some have convinced themselves when expectations are the leading indicator of a films financial take vs the actual amount of money coming in. 

It's been an issue for some time. The reality of the thing is that it's still a gargantuan success and that too often in Box Office circles some(I've been guilty before) allow their feelings/emotions to gauge their expectation into being too far fetched. When that far fetched expectation bar isn't reached--now something is just MEH?!?

I'm only quoting Damien cause his is the last in a string of similar posts across the forums and it's not directly aimed at him. I'm just so over the "expectations, expectations" line. Faulty factors can cause faulty expectations and this needs to be realized as well. 

• Like 6

I think it's two factors, mainly. One, a sequel to a popular series is gonna be more front-loaded, especially one that has a diehard, dedicated fanbase. And secondly, adults are more likely to see an evening movie during the week.

Pitch Perfect does not have a "diehard, dedicated fanbase" lolol.

That said, I get what you're going for and I agree with you. High schoolers aren't going to go a movie Monday night, whereas older people (in college and up) are. Personally, looking forward to seeing Mad Max again in 8 hours :)

Pitch Perfect does not have a "diehard, dedicated fanbase" lolol.

That said, I get what you're going for and I agree with you. High schoolers aren't going to go a movie Monday night, whereas older people (in college and up) are. Personally, looking forward to seeing Mad Max again in 8 hours :)

It does, though. So did Austin Powers after it built up good will on home video. I wasn't using that as a negative term.

• Like 1