kayumanggi

Weekend Estimates (4-day): TL 41.7 M | PP II 38.5 M | MM: FR 32.1 M | A:AOU 27.8 M | POLTERGEIST 26.5 M

It's really not just Disney, just about every studio doesn't learn about controlling budgets.

I may or may not have been mentioned this. But back in 97 I remember reading an article in Newsweek is Hollywood out of control. Now this was the time that Titanic was supposed to come out that summer and its budget is still huge. But it also pointed to huge films like Con Air(80 million) Face/Off(85) and Men in Black(90). 90 million gets you what maybe a quarter of Avengers advertising budget?

• Like 4

I tend to think it's we who don't know anything. These people run businesses. I presume if they're constantly approving massive budgets it's because the majority of the time they get their money back, regardless of what we think we know. Obviously there are occasions when they don't, but they're much rarer than when they do, so I think it's silly to say Hollywood budgeting is out of control. 

• Like 8

I tend to think it's we who don't know anything. These people run businesses. I presume if they're constantly approving massive budgets it's because the majority of the time they get their money back, regardless of what we think we know. Obviously there are occasions when they don't, but they're much rarer than when they do, so I think it's silly to say Hollywood budgeting is out of control. 

This is true, and it's because of the OS market now. Ever since the last 6 or 7 years when OS exploded, studios can spend a cool 200m on unproven properties and get the money back more often than not. I still can't believe Pacific Rim ended up working out OK with that huge budget. Thanks to OS. China's huge breakout the last year or so is probably only going to inflate budgets more.

I imagine it is just more and more people that worked on the movies that want a piece of the pie aka the movie's profits that are driving up the budgets.

Also the ending credits for movies these day are RIDICULOUSLY long. Some of my favorite movies that were made back then had ending credits that were just 2-3 minutes long! Do all those names HAVE to be there? Do we really need to know who the assistant to Mr Depp for the movie was? :blink:

I still wanna see Tomorrowland but the mediocre reviews and box office performance has drained most of my enthusiasm.

It's a really imaginative movie and I honestly recommend you check it out at some point. At the cinema or on TV is up to you, but worth a watch.
  • Like 1