Tomorrowland (2015)

49 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I can't really say much that hasn't already been said. I really, really enjoyed the first half of the movie. It was very Spielberg-ish and classic blockbuster in the way everything was building up. But... That was it. The build up had no pay off. Laurie's pseudo-sociological spiel was all bark and no bite, pretty underwhelming antagonist. Clooney's character was pretty bland. Robertson's character I really liked but by the end of the movie all she really did was give a cookie cutter solution anyone could have come up with. Also REALLY awkward relationship with Clooney and the 12 year old robot girl.

Key cameo was funny though.

I give it a C, I guess. Enjoyable, but ultimately bland and delivers absolutely nothing in the final act.

• Like 1

First: they shouldn't have spent 2/3 of the film on earth dealing with trivial bs that could have been should have been compressed/condensed into a generous 20 minutes. Start the film with Casey getting out of jail (completely scrap that godawful intro), done, we would have a much leaner movie.

Second: it's way too childish for anyone over 12 and too violent for small kids. Stop trying to please everyone and maybe you will manage to please someone.

Third: the third act, the part of the film that everyone seems to dislike, was the best part for me, the film started to move and it worked quite well, except for that super problematic message. I loved how the climax didn't try to be a huge set piece, it felt more personal.

The lead actress was great with what she was given and that little robot girl fighting scenes were somewhat refreshing.

60/100

B

Better than Ultron  :lol:

But not really any good either.  <_<

I like the message and the cast is strong though Laurie is wasted completely. 

The problem with the ending is not what people had been saying from before; exposition, shoehorned action etc. but more of a problem that started way beforehand. 

Bird or Lindelof or whomever had no idea what exactly was wrong with the world and then decided to rely on...some sort of environmental disaster which made no sense whatsoever. Literally nothing leads up to the disaster. It certainly does not happen simultaneously. A well intentioned but misguided attempt at portraying the optimistic message. 

As long as someone has hope, the world can be changed, but it's still just very, very murky and besides not giving up, I'm not sure why Brit Robertson's character exists. There really had to be something more than a broadcasting doomsday machine that would cause the world to end. Lot of good ideas but ultimately went nowhere with any of it. Pity.

Maybe a B- instead. But still better than Ultron  :lol:

Super 8 was a much more optimistic picture, but then, its message wasn't the same. Would love to see Robertson in more movies.

What seemed like a promising start to the movie ended up a confusing mish-mash of dreck.  This seems like a movie that never figured out where it wanted to go or what it wanted to do.  It ended with more questions than it began with and . . . thanks to the trailers everyone watched it with a lot of questions!!!

Clooney was typical Clooney and the female characters were fine but the plot did them no favors.  This movie had real potential but apparently no vision to capitalize on it.  The more time goes by from seeing it the bigger waste of time it seems to have been.  And a complete waste of some pretty good actors in lame, predictable and boring roles.

2/3 of the movie was pretty interesting even if it dragged. But than in the final act i had no bloody idea what was happening. How was the world ending? why? why werent the geniuses fixing it? How was technology advancing in the real world if the all the geniuses were in Tomorrowland? What did Casey figure out? Why was George hung up over a little robot girl? Was he a pedo? i have no fucking clue.

C-/D+

The biggest problem with the movie is that despite all the exposition talk the main conflict is so poorly defined. The world is ending in sixty days because people didn't care, but why in just sixty days? Why does it all happen so suddenly? In the vision of the future we see both nuclear armageddon and environmental destruction, but humanity hasn't been at the verge of launching nukes in decades and environmental destruction doesn't happen all at once. All throughout the third act I kept asking why all of this would suddenly happen in sixty days, but the movie is too busy being preachy about "people who dream are good for the world" that it forgets to answer such a fundamental question.

And for that matter, why did the "brilliant minds" of Tomorrowland not do anything to fix this? There's Hugh Laurie warning people of the apocalypse by broadcasting with that sphere-thingy (although the part about him saying we doomed ourselves because we just gobbled up his warnings makes no fucking sense) but what was everyone else doing? There were like hundreds of thousands of people in Tomorrowland when we saw it through Casey's visions, but when we actually get there the place is deserted and decrepit. They say the "brilliant minds" just lost hope, but why did they? What changed that caused them to abandon the place and result in Laurie and his goons being the only people remaining?

And Casey was going to fix the problem because... she was optimistic? The film claims she "knows how to fix things" but we rarely actually see her fix anything, and she doesn't even do all that much when she gets to Tomorrowland. Everyone around her is objectively smarter and more capable than her, yet because she's "optimistic" she's able to realize something that anyone that anyone with a functioning brain could figure out? Literally 90% of people could have taken her place and it would have made almost no difference.

The script reads like a first draft. The ideas are there but it seems like Bird and Lindelof just wanted the core idea without building a sound logic and narrative around it, not to mention the pacing is sluggish and the character relationships don't work at all. And that's a shame because there's more than a few good scenes in the movie, but it doesn't work when the story doesn't have a strong foundation to stand on.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 2

God this is by far one of the most frustrating movies I've ever seen. There is so much stuff to like but also just as much that totally ruins that stuff. There is a really great movie in their somewhere, but it would be a labyrinth to try and find it. There are so many things that peak your interest... the World's Fair setup, the long-take through Tomorrowland, the Frank/Athena relationship, the waiting to see why Casey is so 'special', all of the ideas the movie throws out there... and then it develops fucking NONE of them. Like what was the point? And then the final act was just utter foolishness.  Arghhhh. C-