Tomorrowland (2015)

49 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I loved it,lol. The bad robots were so funny :lol: ...and the fight scene in the shop, with all the star wars sounds was excellent, probably the best part of the movie :wub:

I give it 8/10

Edited by Doctor Who

i liked it , even better that i was not exactly weirded out by the chemistry between george clooney and that little girl , she's good heck they're both good !! to pull that off  a fine line threading, at one moment i told myself aren't you suppose to be creeped out by the vibes these two characters are portraying , she being a robot hasnt aged and him having been kicked out has aged quite a lot (maybe the fact she's a robot lolll) but i felt he was portraying the kiddie love between 11 yrs old kids its not sexual ya know its innocent and sweet  !

brie robertson was surprisingly not annoying even though her character's importance was a tad sketchy but eh like i said a fun movie and i like the environmental message in it  , its true we're too cynical !

points for clooney being a film that might make money !

Man oh man this was bad. Way worse than Jupiter Ascending. So bad in fact that kids in my theatre were bored out of their minds and loudly asking their parents when it would be over. And I felt their pain.

First off, the main character was cast too old. Brie did the best with what she had, but the character was mentally and emotionally 11 years old. She did not behave like any teenage girl I have ever known. I guess a kid running off alone would not have worked, but her being a teen didn't either. 

On the flip side, the robot girl was cast way too young. Having her be an adult that the little boy had a crush on might have been better. Well anything would have been better than her creepy relationship with George Clooney's character. First he's angry at her for not loving him back. Then he's sorta still in love with her at the end. That last scenes of the two of them together before she died was sooooooooooo awkward. It almost bordered on pedo.

The villain was very underdeveloped. I couldn't understand what his motivation was for anything. Why did he take over Tomorrowland and turn it into a wasteland? Why did he want to destroy Earth?

A big problem I had with it was the lack of action, since it was marketed as an action film. A few nasty fights scenes, but no big battles or anything interesting. A lot of the action scenes also seemed like a copy of the ones in Big Hero 6.

Overall the movie had a good concept but it was poorly executed and the script wasn't great.

• Like 1

Decent film but yes there is zero subtlety. Like I wrote in the main thread, it is like a sledgehammer to the head in its message.

But still I liked it overall with the future and sci-fi elements. Made me think of how I felt as a kid with those ideas.

There are issues, don't get me wrong and I get why people would not like those. However, overall, I still had a fun time with it.

And the little girl, Raffey Cassidy was the standout

B+/B

Edited by 75live
  • Like 2

There are some really nice directorial flourishes here (the seven minute long-take of Tomorrowland is really, really cool) and Athena is a fun character. I liked some of the action concepts too like the time bomb. That said, the ideological themes are utterly moronic (I mentioned this in the BO thread), and maybe Fury Road spoiled me, but the over-exposition-filled dialogue made pretty much every character non-relatable. I also hate hate HATED the framing device. Like seriously, I'd give it a half letter grade higher if you just edit that cutesy shit out. Also, why, why WHY did Hugh Laurie monologue in this movie? I'm not blaming Lindelof but both him and Bird should've let these ideas mariniate longer and picked a better theme to center their movie around, because as it is, I was pretty offended by the preachiness of the idiotic message. C-

Edited by Blankments
  • Like 1

Movie was good, but could have been much better. Britt Robertson was really good and the best part of the movie. I hope she gets a lot of more acting jobs in the near future.

I would give it a....

B(82)

• Like 1

I was on board for a lot of the movie enjoying a (cheesy) but fun intrigue, adventure story. I also liked where it was leading up till the end (or thought I did), but then the end happened and I just didn't like any of it. The Clooney/Athena relationship is creepy to watch, the cheese goes a bit overboard at the end, and the movie seems to throw away the "let's fix our problems" solution and goes more towards dismissing a lot of world problems.

By the end the logic of Nix made much more sense than Clooney's (although flawed). And while the optimism was nice, it was a rather stupid solution to the problem.

Its a fun movie that has a lot of building potential that its unable to fulfill with its ending.

C+

So, um, Tomorrowland.

I really wanted to love this movie, and there are some truly wonderful moments in this, including the World Fair sequence, Casey's pin trip, the house shootout, and the very ending (not the third act, just like the last two minutes). To be honest, I didn't even mind that it took so long to discover Tomorrowland, especially with the glimpses of the world we got before.

The problems come in two forms, the first being that said travel feels quite dull, and the stakes never truly believable. Nix as the villain makes most makes most MCU villians seem like The Joker, Hannibal Lecter, and so on. He's so bland, nonthreatening, and honestly logical enough that he doesn't have a good part as the antagonist here, not to mention a contradictory one. He's presenting this cruel vision of the future so that people will try to stop it, a plot which fails because....people like The Hunger Games and Mad Max. That, and he sends his robot agents after the one person who wants to fight to save the future. Am I missing something here?

Either way, let's go back to the negative-nilly hopeless fiction Nix pointed out. (Pray that he doesn't find out about Black Mirror.) There were so many ways the spark of hope for the future has been lost (ridiculous college costs, media celebrating superficial celebrities over scientists and dreamers, standardized testing placing menial tasks over imagination and thought), and that's what they go with? Seriously? I mean, this is coming from someone who likes the message of optimism, hope, and working hard to protect the future, but when it's presented in such a ridiculously bad way, especially from a studio KNOWN for making already optimistic stories (most of their animated movies have optimism at their core) with more entertainment, heart, and even nuance. 

Come to think of it, most of the highest grossing movies of each year are all optimistic in some way shape or form, so its argument fails.

I guess its dull plot line and well intentioned but painfully misguided morality didn't completely stop me from having a good time. The characters are fun enough to follow, even if they are fairly one note, and Bird's visual and musical direction is often quite on point. Plus, if it gets the discussion moving towards more optimistic thinking, then it's not a total loss.

B-

• Like 2

So I saw Tomorrowland today....

Hmm...

I guess first initial thoughts.......annnnd why is this called Tomorrowland?

I walked into the theater thinking we were going to get this world that we saw in the trailers, which we did.....for like 2 minutes. We then learn that that world doesn't exist, and is only a shell of the place because some guy is hiding out there to avoid the collapse of the real world?

Huh????

Why did they over-think this! All they needed to do was just have her teleport or whatever when she touches the pin and have the world the way they advertised it. They could have kept the villain the same, just a few minor plot tweaks. I just feel like they completely over-complicated a story that didn't need to be. I almost feel somewhat robbed. Instead of the world of Tomorowland I thought I was going to see, we get instead a movie that is mostly taking place on earth (80 minutes lets say?), then finally goes to Tomorowland but just a junk desolate version of it (this is like 30 minutes?), and maybe just maybe 8 actual minutes of the Tomorowland they advertised in the trailer (the little bit I. The beginning and the "advertisement" she saw). Really?

And was it just me, or was anyone else kind of just not feeling the connection between Athena and frank? Perhaps it has to do with the fact she's a robot, but I've seen movies where they've actually succeeded in making you feel for a robot/human love connection. I feel like this movie just never did that, so the end felt flat to me. Perhaps because they only showed us them briefly meeting in the beginning in the movie, and then just when he's older in present time old? Maybe had it been a movie just between them, more dialogue and scenes together, perhaps I would of felt something? Who knows, all I know is that it felt awkward.

They should of changed the title of the film to "Travel to Wasteland" since well.....that's what the majority of the movie felt like. And how on earth is this a Disney film? It feels way to awkward and boring to be a Disney film, let alone attracting kids.

So, to wrap things up:

Storyline/plot: F 50/100

Graphics: 90/100

Acting: 80/100

Cinematography: 80/100

75/100 average rating: my score is a C. Highly dissapointed.

Edited by K1stpierre
  • Like 1

I'd probably say this is my favourite movie of the year so far and is literally everything I would love from a movie. The acting was amazing, especially Britt Robertson who was superb and reminded me of Jennifer Lawrence. I also really like Clooney and the young robot. The direction was amazing and the movie was visually stunning. I adored the plot even though the script could have been tighter in places and I loved the Tomorrowland advertisement and Casey's journey discovering the pin/ the shop moment when the buyers turn into robots were the highlights for me.

Fantastic movie which I'd watch again in a heartbeat!

This movie is a mess from start to finish. From the clunky and preachy script, to the cluttered way it tries to mix action beats featuring creepy androids getting dismembered and blown up like Terminator 3 with cheesy scenes appealing to kids.

I didn't buy that poor man's J-Law as a teenager and how it hammers your head that she's a "smart genius that wants to fix the world". The way the characters were dumping exposition and the themes of the movie right at your face was really boring and trite. 95% of the movie was "We need to get to Tomorrowland!" (Why? Just because it's kind of important...Mystery box...whatever...Squirrel!) and the 5% left was the rushed third act in which you discover that the aforementioned Tomorrowland is actually an alternative dimension's wasteland because the world is ending, none of those chosen ones geniuses actually gave a fuck to save it from happening and we should all live in Disneyland be more positive like super-smart blondie instead of being negative debbie downers like grumpy Dr House who is a bad guy because he "scares" people to make them change their bad habits.(Yeah because the guy who tells us straight what will happen by showing us the consequences of our wrong-doings on planet Earth to shock our conscience out of apathy to trigger an urging change of habits totally sounds like a bad guy...) <_<

Just like the characters experiencing some kind of disappointment about Athena luring them into a mirage long gone, I was disappointed by Bird's movie that builds all that fuss about something that just amounts to "Lighten up, Francis!".

The corny ending montage was like watching a corporate advertisement akin to Monsanto/Coca-Cola/Apple/Exxon/General Motors/Nike trying to make believe they are really making a better world and asking us to comply being active part of it.(At least, the entitled special ones will contribute and the mindless rest can rote in their intellectual mediocrity and their utter uselessness)

Blankments already touched upon the issue but the script got a weird fixation with dystopian genre like dystopian stories about doomsday (what Nix projected in people's mind about the future to make them change their ways) are one of the plague humanity is setting up its demise like a self-fulfilling prophecy annihilating hope and optimism. Uh what? :huh: Just like Tomorrowland's aesthetic future is something out of the fifties, it seems that Lindelof and Bird are still stuck there in terms of criticizing dystopias and lecturing us in a very simplistic way.

Obsessed with their crusade against what they perceive as jaded and cynical signs o' the times, the makers forgot to craft a compelling, entertaining and balanced narrative to pay lip service to the noble themes and message on paper. As a result, it's heavy-handed, simplistic, self-patting, scolding and incredibly naive.

(Ironically, I got more "optimism", "hope" and sense of trust in mankind's ability to overcome adversity and fatalism of dreary reality out of Fury Road, not escaping in a fantasy for selected fews that will magically change the world somehow by making cool gadgets and toys, the kind of dystopian story Bird and Lindelof seem to elicit such contempt for, looking down from the top of their ivory tower all self-righteous and proud about their navel-gazing OPTIMISM™© ad)

C.

Edited by MADash Rendar
  • Like 4

If only that device projected the doom that lay ahead with this project to Brad Bird. Some Rocketeer flourishes of awe and hope. Heart's in the right place. But, really, just a dud. Skips over the more fascinating elements in the narrative and draws out the less interesting parts. I too had a J-Law doppelganger feeling. I didn't mind the message. But, man, that last scene made it seem like something constructed for classrooms. I did like the robots and Athena.

C+

What really should be a spectacular and inspiring form of escapism ends up being a diatribe against modern society. And it's a shame, because there's so much effort and heart put into this movie that it's hard to ignore. This film needed more moments of Tomorrowland, and not the wasteland we see in the second and third act. The pin scenes around the 30 minute mark was the best part of the movie, and some scenes like the World's Fair opening and the last few minutes of the movie (excluding the preachy third act) are great as well. Instead, those moments are overshadowed by the constant thought of "Britt Robinson is the only one who can save the future from humanity's cynicism!" jammed into your head.

According to Bird and Lindelof, we're all Debbie Downers who've given up hope trying to make progress, and we'll only truly be saved if we dismiss all our problems and live in a retro-futuristic alternate dimensions with jetpacks and rockets 'n shit. It's not powerful, it's pleading and preachy. The film should've spent less time criticizing us and more time showing us a bright futuristic world. Who knows, maybe it could've inspired some others to try and make it happen.

Aside from the really poor themes, there's some good things about this film. The visual effects are spectacular for the 10 minutes we see the fully-realized Tomorrowland, Britt Roberston was the highlight of the movie despite the bland material and characterization the writers gave her, and I liked Athena as a character. But really, for all the good vibes the film tries to send us, the end result is cheesy and overwrought.

C+

• Like 2

When the precent drops from 100 to 99.996, that moment is pure movie magic. I loved it. And I liked the concept a lot but the movie falls super short.

Half way theough the 3rd act I realized ohhhhh this is the end? It felt really lackluster and the movie as a whole as a ton of pacing problems it's kinda all over the place.

C+ (77)

• Like 5

Tomorrow-land built immense hype from the release of just one trailer but as the saying goes, "The trailer is almost always certainly better than the movie."  To a degree, this is what Tomorrow-land is: a bland and orthodox movie trying desperately to earn the approval of its audience but falters on the execution.  As a young lad, 14 years old, I dream of a Tomorrow-land and for a film to tackle such a subject, I was beyond thrilled and jubilant.  Walking into the theater, the building of apprehension as you sit down as you await for the film to begin, it seemed certain that through all the trailers I could not muster the strength to not watch, this movie was going to be one gluttonous ride.  However, as the movie began and continued to yelp through the screen at us; the audience, I came upon quite a dissatisfying conclusion; it is better to dream of a Tomorrow-land that differs from Disney's bland and conventional world.  Tomorrow-land offers an inspiring yet preachy ambiance to its audience and although the themes and inner workings of the movie may be inspirational and worth ruminating days on about, Disney's hit a wall with this mess.  

PROS:

- First act

- Character construction and fleshing

- Diverse characters

- Amazing world building  

- Themes 

CONS:

- Second act

- Main character is annoying 

- Using a common theme: "We need you to save us and this world," this has been regurgitated too many times

- Preachy 

- Unsophisticated storytelling

- Some or 1/2 of the scenes had amateur and depressing acting

- Characters that should be 22 are 12 and ones that should be 12 are 18+ (I agree with whoever wrote about this as well, *virtual high-five*)

- Third act... corny and comes off as somewhat of a, "Meant to be"

- Main characters' chemistry is... off-putting 

- I forgot if the movie had any memorable supporting characters... 

Verdict?

~ 50/100, D

Edited by CelestialFairyIX
  • Like 1

I was so onboard with this movie... and then the ending happened.

A whole movie just in Tomorrowland would have been awesome, but instead we got... this.

And Clooney and the robot girl was SO pedophile I felt incredibly akward.

65/100