Jurassic World (2015)

158 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I hear that a lot of people are bitching and moaning about how "bad" the CGI was in the film (i.e. Doug Walker and Angry Joe) but I honestly don't get it. Yes, a lot of it is CGI but how else are they going to be able to pull it off? Animatronics are generally used with close-up shots but that's generally the most you can use it for. Personally, there was really only a couple of times where I felt the CG was distracting... And the majority of it looked amazing, beginning to end.

I also call bs on the criticism that there was no character development at all.

• Like 2

I could nitpick little details out of the movie (none of which hampered my immense enjoyment of the film), but one major story arc remained stuck in my head.

The story used classic Spielberg character elements (main character becoming less reluctant at the concept of family and the unorthodox family unit) and while I enjoyed the inversions, I can't help but feel that the elements are poorly thrown in and clash with the rest of the story.

The JP1 animatronics were and still are incredible IMHO. That said, I was a lot more impressed by the CGI in JP4 than I expected to be. If you dig through some of the threads on this board and find the reactions to the trailers, I was one of the people complaining that the CGI in the trailers (or at least the first trailer) looked worse than what we got in 1993. They did some great work in post-production and the final product turned out much better than expected.

This was not ILM team A who did Jurassic World.

But the VFX were good, not spectacular.

I hear that a lot of people are bitching and moaning about how "bad" the CGI was in the film (i.e. Doug Walker and Angry Joe) but I honestly don't get it. Yes, a lot of it is CGI but how else are they going to be able to pull it off? Animatronics are generally used with close-up shots but that's generally the most you can use it for. Personally, there was really only a couple of times where I felt the CG was distracting... And the majority of it looked amazing, beginning to end.

I also call bs on the criticism that there was no character development at all.

The problem is all dino shots were CGI, even with the raptors' heads locked up. Point is, they still could have done at least some animatronic work. I think the T-Rex intro for the climax with him walking out of his door toward Bryce could have been done with animatronics.

I'm also in the boat of the Indominus Rex design looking not all that spectacular and not very different from the T-Rex. It's like if the T-Rex were the Hulk and the I-Rex were the Abomination, only with much less distinction between the two.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 1

The problem is all dino shots were CGI, even with the raptors' heads locked up. Point is, they still could have done at least some animatronic work. I think the T-Rex intro for the climax with him walking out of his door toward Bryce could have been done with animatronics.

Yeah, I wondered why they used CGI, considering they tweeted this:

raptor-jurassic-world.jpg

Unless they were actually animatronics, then in that case, my CGI identifying skills have gotten terrible. 

A friend told me this was the best film she's seen in ten years. She's a busy mom so I'll cut her some slack. I did like this but it was not great by any means. The only character I liked was Simon Masrani, the owner played by Irrfan Khan. The kids were terrible. Their mom was even worse in the few scenes she had. Howard and Pratt were nothing to write home about. The plot was pretty cheesy at times and too convenient at others. The bad guys weren't particularly good at being bad. But you don't go see Jurassic World for the acting or the plot. You go for the FX and the action, and this film delivers in those areas. The dinos looked great and the action was pretty good with some really tense moments.

B

• Like 1

Finally watched this. I read some of your reviews and I am kind of surprised this got such a wide range of reactions. Just the music alone makes this movie decent...

My favorite part was when the kids run into the old park and find the old jeeps. I mean really, the theatre should have had tissues ready for this. And on top of that, they play a slowed down version of the Jurassic theme during it! I am so glad they did that. Everything was perfect about that scene. Even when the kid finds the old night vision goggles that the original little Jurassic park kid used. How do you not get goosebumps??

The climax was awesome. Bringing back the T. rex to save the day was such a cool idea. She is the original badass.

Most annoying thing about the movie was the 2 kids. The little one is over dramatic and the older one is just too typical. How many movies do we have to watch until they stop adding the stupid teenager who acts like he hates everything? I got some major second hand embarrassment during some of the scenes with these kids. Not a pleasant feeling.

All in all I give this movie a solid A. Very good for a summer popcorn affair.

• Like 1