K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

I responded to people saying it will have a massive effect, not an effect at all.

Well, you also said Jurassic World had "captured the zeitgeist in a way that an individual non-final deciding basketball game could never" which is decidedly not true. They're two big cultural events going on at the same time

• Like 2

I like ID4 very much, but it does not hold a candle to the original Jurassic Park. Not even close to the same level of nostalgia. Plus it seems like the very concept of ID4 would require a one-off event. Naming your movie Independence Day and then making a sequel to that just seems FUBAR.

Oh I don't for a minute think ID2 will do these kind of numbers... but if they get 90s kids (like me) excited at seeing ID back on the big screen then we could be in for a bigger hit than expected.

Edited by solaaaaaaaris

So, is this locked for a new OW record?

Locked? Of course not…possible, for sure.

I am not believing in the OW record yet. A 70M Saturday is gonna crash this place. It won't happen. 65M would be good.

$70m could def happen…sell outs everywhere this afternoon so far.

• Like 1

I am not believing in the OW record yet. A 70M Saturday is gonna crash this place. It won't happen. 65M would be good.

65M would be much more than good, lol. Let's not let the insane Friday  get to our heads  :lol:

• Like 3

Nobody expected the first Hunger Games to blow up like it did in March 2012.

Hey, it s probably the reason Warner is releasing one of the most important movie of the studio s history in that timeframe.

Me and aDIM did. It was us against the world.

• Like 1

Well, you also said Jurassic World had "captured the zeitgeist in a way that an individual non-final deciding basketball game could never" which is decidedly not true. They're two big cultural events going on at the same time

Chewy is a Cavs fan.

What would it take for people to start calling FLOP?

Eh, the number of people that end up seeing JW in theaters will obliterate the number of people who watch the game. My point was the game isn't enough to actually hurt the movie.

The Independence Day sequel is now looking like a much bigger potential hit.... never underestimate the power of 90s nostalgia. 

I Don't think it has the same cultural impact. More about the cast of characters rather than the aliens. Will Smith was the main draw, he's been replaced by Liams Hemsworth, nuff said. They will have to depend heavily on the aliens this go round, which is actually a smart decision. The alien nation remained mysterious for the most part in the original film. 

Edited by babz06