K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Universal isn't going to follow the Cinematic Universe formula.

They aren't followers which is why they didn't reboot the Furious or JP franchise.

Now now now, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Classic Monsters Universe?

I really do hope Hollywood tries to copy JW and makes more creature movies. Lets go Old Lace.

Looking at the 3D share, it is clear there was plenty of spillover audience. Highest 3D share for a big opener in quite some time

@ERCboxoffice: 3D accounted for 48% of JURASSIC WORLD's gargantuan $204.6M debut in North America.

Mojo has a JW vs JP3 showdown on its home page…are you fucking serious mojo?!?!   Get that JW vs TDK vs TA showdown up there and do something right for once recently!

lmao I won't find the post since it's like buried right in the middle of this thread somewhere but I callllled this.

Universal isn't going to follow the Cinematic Universe formula.

They aren't followers which is why they didn't reboot the Furious or JP franchise.

They might not be followers but they still don't have original ideas. A part 7 and a part 4.

I've been reading DisneyWar, and when they talk about Michael Ovitz and CAA, it seems that a lot of "original" ideas came out of the 80s-90s way of doing things, the packaging of scripts and talent (especially name actors and directors), the films being shopped to the studios at the development stage. Studios didn't always come up with these "original ideas", they often bought them. I got the same impression from reading Tales from Development Hell.

Things just don't work that way anymore, there's no studio bidding wars for potential blockbusters, there's few competing attempts at the same high concept. It's just that instead of one film being the trendsetter and setting off "X on a Y" copycats (some of which we treat like they were originals, when they were literally pitched as "X on a Y"), we get attempts to build and sustain and revive franchises that worked before.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Looking at the 3D share, it is clear there was plenty of spillover audience. Highest 3D share for a big opener in quite some time

@ERCboxoffice: 3D accounted for 48% of JURASSIC WORLD's gargantuan $204.6M debut in North America.

Wow 48%!!!