K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

I think mods were pretty lenient regarding derailments in this thread. They realized weekends like this don't come around too often.

Also, June used to hold the OW record before, so not that surprising that a June movie can break the OW record, just that it came through JW which no one saw coming.

IDK I felt we were typically pretty on point with discussing either Jurassic World or Jurassic World's future performance or breaking Avengers record. More so than Pokemon derailments or Harry Potter arguments

• Like 1

I think mods were pretty lenient regarding derailments in this thread. They realized weekends like this don't come around too often.

Also, June used to hold the OW record before, so not that surprising that a June movie can break the OW record, just that it came through JW which no one saw coming.

Yeah, three Batman movies and the original JP all broke the record in June. Somewhere along the way the month lost some of its opening weekend luster (for no good reason).

You know, I was just thinking how there may be a saturation effect when it comes to events that could take business from a huge movie. For example...people who were going to watch the Finals and GOT most likely went to see JW earlier today. These people going earlier may have taken a seat (since shows have been sold out) from someone who doesn't care about these events causing them to go later and fill the void that the game and GOT would have caused thus creating a very minimal effect..

• Like 1

It's just been so long since June has held it... It was so common in the 80's and early 90's, but ever since 1997 the record holder was in May, July or November.

Raptors are badass. Had one of those fossil claws when I was kid. Can you imagine trying to deal with them in real life? Glad they went extinct and turned into falcons.

Velociraptors were just two feet in reality.

It actually wasn't too bad.  Mostly movie talk... only a couple of pokemon gifs.

• Like 1

I know I should probably wait for actuals before asking this, but I'm not sure what the most overall "impressive" weekend of all time is. In the heat of the moment it's easy to pick this, but TA1, TDK, THG, and SM1 were all very very impressive.

This one takes the cake in terms of pure shock value. It beat tracking by $80-100m.

• Like 5

This one takes the cake in terms of pure shock value. It beat tracking by $80-100m.

This.

I was pretty shocked by SM1 number but I knew nothing about B.O. back then.

NOBODY got it right this weekend, absolutely nobody. With TA at least we had BKB coming so close.

There was also Deinonychus, which was only a tad smaller than the JP Velociraptors .And Dromeasaur lol.

Hunting in packs. Good fucking luck with that. I think I'd rather deal with a T-Rex than a pack of raptors. At least the T-Rex is dumber and there is usually just one versus potentially half a dozen of them. We're lucky that meteor wiped them out.