K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Everyone is over estimating the effect of the game and Game of Thrones. Yall do realize that Game of Thrones is on HBO and requires a subscription? We aren't talking about American Idol or CSI or Desperate Housewives which in their hey days pulled 40m for their season finales. Combined the viewership of those 2 programs isn't going to equal what the season ender of Housewives pulled 11 years ago - the last time the NBA was running this high.

Perspective folks, perspective.

I won't overestimate it. But, I won't discount the NBA altogether. I think it impacts JW by just $2M to $4M... Which, might just enough for it to fall just short. BUT, I need an accurate Saturday estimate. If it's $72M+ Saturday, we have a new record holder. Otherwise, going to extremely close.

Everyone is over estimating the effect of the game and Game of Thrones. Yall do realize that Game of Thrones is on HBO and requires a subscription? We aren't talking about American Idol or CSI or Desperate Housewives which in their hey days pulled 40m for their season finales. Combined the viewership of those 2 programs isn't going to equal what the season ender of Housewives pulled 11 years ago - the last time the NBA was running this high.

Perspective folks, perspective.

But it doesnt work that way, does it? It's about shared audience. Yeah, 8-9m people will watch the GoT finale, but that doesnt mean that the other 200 smth million americans will go see JW. JW and GoT share the same demo, that's why it will have an effect, bigger or smaller than we think.

Can someone tell me where on the keyboard you can find the long slash that people put in their titles?  I swear I do not have this long Slash, just a /

Plus spillover is going to be huge. The complaints about lines and sellouts on Twitter last night were very similar to TA1. Theaters were caught off guard just as much by this movie as they were with TA1, maybe even moreso. At least a decent chunk of those people will try again today to see it.

Yup - people forget, or weren't around when TA1 and TDK-SM3-DMC combo happened. This is normal behavior for a record breaker that ISN'T effected by the other entertainment choices going on.

Note that I don't include DH2 because post mid-night the business fell off at a good clip.

Can someone tell me where on the keyboard you can find the long slash that people put in their titles?  I swear I do not have this long Slash, just a /

This one? --> |

It's above the enter key.

I was checking some images on Google to show it to you but no keyboard I have found has it on the same place as mine  :mellow:

• Like 1

I was checking some images on Google to show it to you but no keyboard I have found has it on the same place as mine  :mellow:

I don't get it.  Why would my keyboard not have it?  Maybe European keyboards are different than NA ones? 

But it doesnt work that way, does it? It's about shared audience. Yeah, 8-9m people will watch the GoT finale, but that doesnt mean that the other 200 smth million americans will go see JW. JW and GoT share the same demo, that's why it will have an effect, bigger or smaller than we think.

Considering that this is playing like a 4 quadrant beast I think you are overthinking. 1 demo out of 4 when 2 of them don't always go out isn't enough to cause the kind of fluctuation you are estimating.

Come tomorrow and I am wrong, I will gladly tell you sorry, but I have been following boxoffice longer than most on this board and this is a pattern we are seeing repeated. The Sunday drop will be less than 20%, I can almost guarantee it.

• Like 1

On my keyboard it's next to the 1 key.

Same as mine, but I searched for keyboard pictures and I didn't found any with an image of it next to the 1 key :lol: 

• Like 1

I don't get it.  Why would my keyboard not have it?  Maybe European keyboards are different than NA ones? 

Yes, they are different. But you should still have it anyway, just in a different place.

On my keyboard it's next to the 1 key.

LOL, yep, I now see it on my laptop, but I use an external keyboard because of my nerve condition....thanks, I've never even looked up there before.   :)

Edited by baumer

Considering that this is playing like a 4 quadrant beast I think you are overthinking. 1 demo out of 4 when 2 of them don't always go out isn't enough to cause the kind of fluctuation you are estimating.

Come tomorrow and I am wrong, I will gladly tell you sorry, but I have been following boxoffice longer than most on this board and this is a pattern we are seeing repeated. The Sunday drop will be less than 20%, I can almost guarantee it.

Which then puts it around 210. Would be awesome if that happens.