K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Do we really honestly know what film has more admissions when you are talking about numbers this high?  How do you know that JW didn't sell more kids tickets which are less than adults?  How do you know that it sold more matinees than AOU, which is less for a ticket?  There are all kinds of factors that goes into admissions.  So to me, I don't care and there is no real way to determine who sold 100,000 more tickets.  And really, who gives a shit.  If it makes the record, it's a record, plain and simple,

• Like 13

Even without the record, there is so much to like about this weekend.

Unless you are playing Baumer's summer game, in which we all just lost :/

I am done with that for this year. I have been forgetting to play every week and now JW does this? Lol. 

Yes we do.

Dh2 beat tdk but we all know it was not bigger then tdk.

So imo saying admissions have zero revelance it's silly.

IM3 beat tdkr and tdk but we know IM3 was not as big.

It's something we have in the back our minds.

Of course it's in our minds with something like DH2. Brandon Gray made sure of that with his article where he estimated it to be #6 all-time in weekend admissions at the time it set the dollar record. Every other record-breaker from JP2 all the way through TDK was at least a very, very strong contender for admissions record when they broke the dollar record. You can say JP4 is a pretty strong contender in this regard, much stronger than DH2 was.

• Like 1

Lordman,

That was my point - boxoffice nerds are the only ones that care. :)

The studio bean counters could care less if it sold less tickets, just that those tickets had a higher price point than the last film.

• Like 3

Do we really honestly know what film has more admissions when you are talking about numbers this high? How do you know that JW didn't sell more kids tickets which are less than adults? How do you know that it sold more matinees than AOU, which is less for a ticket? There are all kinds of factors that goes into admissions. So to me, I don't care and there is no real way to determine who sold 100,000 more tickets. And really, who gives a shit. If it makes the record, it's a record, plain and simple,

So Dh2 sold more tickets then tdk.

Give me a break.

It is something we look at.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I agree that USD is what matters because this is the most used currency, but I'd really like if we had admissions. For example, here the admissions are the first thing annouced which is kinda the obvious thing to do. You could argue one movie is bigger than the other because it made more cash, but the gross is so influenced by a multitude of factors it will never be reliabe. On the other hand, the number of people seeing a movie is an objective way to look at it. 

• Like 1

I agree that USD is what matters because this is the most used currency, but I'd really like if we had admissions. For example, here the admissions are the first thing annouced which is kinda the obvious thing to do. You could argue one movie is bigger than the other because it made more cash, but the gross is so influenced by a multitude of factors it will never be reliabe. On the other hand, the number of people seeing a movie is an objective way to look at it. 

We'd like a lot of things, but since we don't get admissions, we can only speculate which leads to nothing.

• Like 1

Do we really honestly know what film has more admissions when you are talking about numbers this high?  How do you know that JW didn't sell more kids tickets which are less than adults?  How do you know that it sold more matinees than AOU, which is less for a ticket?  There are all kinds of factors that goes into admissions.  So to me, I don't care and there is no real way to determine who sold 100,000 more tickets.  And really, who gives a shit.  If it makes the record, it's a record, plain and simple,

We also need to factor IMAX, 3D, discount days etc. Good luck with that.

• Like 2

Here admissions is also what gets announced by the distributors. 

The cash versus admissions argument forgets one thing. It evens the playing field between all films of various demos. Obviously a film like Brave sold WAY more tickets than Ted because of the demographic difference (families versus rates R) it creates a false field of fairness for all films.

Number of people that see a movie is also influenced by multitude of factors. There's no perfect way at looking at it.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

I think admissions matter and I do find that American posters, media and industry focus too much on gross so they can pull the word 'record' our of their ass as often as possible even when admissions are potentially declining.

With a 2% inflation a year, you have a 34% increase in 15 years. 55% increase with a 3% inflation. Taking into account population growth and 3D means that focusing solely on growth ensures that record will always be broken which is a bit dishonest.

In my country for example they go by admissions: the last record was beaten in 2008 when we got the highest local movie of all time in admissions which beat a movie from....1966. When it comes to imported movies, Titanic is still the record holder (and the all time in fact). Sure, it means you won't have 'RECORD' every 2 years, but it's more honest imo.

Edited by Cynosure
  • Like 2

1. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD took in an estimated $4.13M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $138.61M. #MadMax #MadMaxFuryRoad

0 retweets0 curtiram
    Responder
     Retweetar
     Curtir
    Mais

ENTOURAGE took in an estimated $4.34M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $25.87M. #Entourage

0 retweets0 curtiram
    Responder
     Retweetar
     Curtir
    Mais

SAN ANDREAS took in an estimated $11.01M this weekend. Domestic total stands at $119.32M. #SanAndreas

• Like 2

An exact number coming 9am on a Sunday, and only being reported by one site?

If that's real Universal is just trolling the fuck outta Disney. A few hours from now the real estimate will be released and will be above TA.

Either way, rth confirmed sat is 70. It's not dropping enough today to knock it under TA for the record.

• Like 1