K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

Because marketing sold Pratt like the next big lead actor after GOTG. Just like they tried to sell Worthington as the new big lead of the week back in 2010 after Avatar and they would have if he hypothetically led JW back in 2010 to cash on his new gained fame.

The thing is Pratt displays his goofball persona off-screen everywhere right now, he plays the Hollywood and social medias game while crafting his down-to-earth and relatable persona into US audience's mind like a male J-Law. Worthington has never tried to be the male J-Law nor has ever been an endearing goofball off-screen to win US audience. Pratt jumps on the good wagons and offers after GOTG but it's not like JW needed him to be big, put Chris Evans in the same role I doubt people would be like "I won't see this movie because I'd prefer Chris Pratt in the lead role".

BRAVO.

Number of people that see a movie is also influenced by multitude of factors. There's no perfect way at looking at it.

It's much less variable though. Just look at the exchange rate situation for example. Here, the third Hobbit movie for example sold 50% more tickets than its predecesors, but the gain in USD was much much smaller. Yet, it was a much larger event. And that's not even talking about IMAX, 3D and economy. 

It's much less variable though. Just look at the exchange rate situation for example. Here, the third Hobbit movie for example sold 50% more tickets than its predecesors, but the gain in USD was much much smaller. Yet, it was a much larger event. And that's not even talking about IMAX, 3D and economy. 

Sure but saying movies 40 years ago were bigger than today is unfair also.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

And all factors affecting admissions will also automatically affect gross anyway. I think admissions should be the way to go since population growth remains far smaller than inflation in most developed countries (0.7% in the US, 0.5% in China, -0.2% in Japan, 0.5% in France etc.).

With a 0.7% population growth, it would take 43 years to affect admissions as much as inflation affects growth in 15 with a 2% inflation rate.

Edited by Cynosure

Admissions is a messy business but look at aou it was 2nd biggest ow of all time.

It it really bigger then Sm3 and tdk noooooooooo

Exactly right. As to the other person's point about dollar gross and kid tickets vs. adult tickets, I think it is unbelievably impressive that a more adult driven film could match the admissions of a kid-driven film. Kids tend to drag their parents with them so it's like a double or triple whammy when you convince a kid to see your movie. Harder to get adults to show up in huge numbers.

That is why TDK's weekend admission number is so impressive. Not saying there weren't a bunch of kids for it, but there were likely a lot less than with something like SM3 or TA/JP4. That's where the Heath Ledger factor came into play big time. Helped a more adult driven film do something you wouldn't think possible.

• Like 1