K1stpierre

Jurassic World Weekend Thread | Official Est. 204.6M | 208.8M - Actuals

What a classic case of waking a sleeping giant of a franchise. Though Jurassic Park doesn't have the outright loonie fandom of the Star Wars, Potter, LOTR, it was such a beloved film by such a wide demographic that it seems Jurassic World ended up being a silent assasin so to speak. A massive fan base but not as vocal which hid much of the potential of the OW to many of us. It won't be underestimated again.

I think JP franchise doesn't have any permanent standout characters like SW, HP, or, LOTR (unless you count the T-rex and raptors). Hence the popularity dropped quickly in JP2 and JP3. It's like you have to get to know the new characters again and you're not likely to love them as much as the prequel. That's not the case now with JW, Pratt will be the lead actor for all next sequels. And I hope this will help JW2, JW3 do much better than JP2/3.

What a classic case of waking a sleeping giant of a franchise. Though Jurassic Park doesn't have the outright loonie fandom of the Star Wars, Potter, LOTR, it was such a beloved film by such a wide demographic that it seems Jurassic World ended up being a silent assasin so to speak. A massive fan base but not as vocal which hid much of the potential of the OW to many of us. It won't be underestimated again.

JP1 was like a Star Wars event for kids of the 1990's. Just as the kids of the 70's were completely blown away by the scale and VFX of Star Wars, the kids of the 90's were utterly stunned by the realistic appearance of dinosaurs at a time when there wasn't anything close to that in movies or TV. It even has the incredible John Williams music just like Star Wars had too, which creates even more nostalgia.

All of that being said, there is no way in hell anyone could have thought this was going to blow up like that. JP1 sold 86m tickets and the franchise fell to just 32m tickets with JP3. Looks like JP4 will more than double JP3's ticket sales. No one thought the franchise could get that close to JP1 territory again.

Great points.  :)

I think JP franchise doesn't have any permanent standout characters like SW, HP, or, LOTR (unless you count the T-rex and raptors). Hence the popularity dropped quickly in JP2 and JP3. It's like you have to get to know the new characters again and you're not likely to love them as much as the prequel. That's not the case now with JW, Pratt will be the lead actor for all next sequels. And I hope this will help JW2, JW3 do much better than JP2/3.

Goldblum as Malcolm did standout. He then played geeky scientist characters in other films as well(ID4 is the other big one).

The kids who were born in the 90s see Jurassic Park as one of the defining films of their childhoods. I was only 4 months old when it came out, but remember watching it obsessively when I hit 5 years. It's what made me obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid.

I'm gonna finally watch it in 25 hours! Cannot fucking wait.

• Like 5

T-Rex and raptors are the standouts for sure. T-Rex is like a combination of Darth Vader/Han Solo for Star Wars. Ian Malcolm was awesome in JP1 and JP2. I really liked Pratt's character in JP4. Seemed like a combination of Malcolm and Grant from the first movie with a little touch of "tough guy" thrown in too.

The kids who were born in the 90s see Jurassic Park as one of the defining films of their childhoods. I was only 4 months old when it came out, but remember watching it obsessively when I hit 5 years. It's what made me obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid.

This is so true, every kid loved Jurassic park, except me.

Goldblum as Malcolm did standout. He then played geeky scientist characters in other films as well(ID4 is the other big one).

Sorry, I am a big fan of dinosaurs and I like all JP movies but I have to google those names to find out who is Goldblum. And I insist his character is not standout in the same level as Jedi in SW, HP in HP, Frodo in LOTR, or Pratt in JW.

• Like 1

And the 80's. Like me, most kids who saw JP in the theater were born in the 80's.

Edited by catlover

I actually thought Bryce Dallas Howard stood out well. I don't care if people are calling her character a caricature.

Yes she wore heels. She was at her work, she wasn't expecting to run from dinosaurs.

My mum took part in the parents obstacle course at my sports day in primary school, wearing heels, straight from work..... and she fucking won!

• Like 1

T-Rex is the star of the JP franchise IMO. Spielberg even realized it when they were finishing JP.  He changed the ending to give the TRex the hero shot at the end. What an incredible decision that was.

If you put the proper actors around the TRex and other dinos then you have the perfect combo,  Pratt was a great choice to compliment the dinos and was a big contributing factor for this blowing up.

By the way, Ian Malcom is one of my all time favorite characters.  Goldblum's performace in JP was one for the ages.

The issue parents never let me watch any films until I was 6 or 7 so I missed out on JP.

I remember getting a copy of twister on vhs and watching I ten times over the weekend lol.

Twister? Yes Lordmandeep.

T-Rex is the star of the JP franchise IMO. Spielberg even realized it when they were finishing JP.  He changed the ending to give the TRex the hero shot at the end. What an incredible decision that was.

If you put the proper actors around the TRex and other dinos then you have the perfect combo,  Pratt was a great choice to compliment the dinos and was a big contributing factor for this blowing up.

By the way, Ian Malcom is one of my all time favorite characters.  Goldblum's performace in JP was one for the ages.

He aint no Captain Steven Hiller