jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

Is a regular 2D adult evening in Texas $13.50? Because that's what I paid for JW in Dublin, California (near San Francisco). My state could well have the most expensive movie tickets in the country...

2D Regular is $10

2D RPX (Regal's version of IMAX) is $12.97 in the evening. Huge screen with really nice digital projection and badass sound, plus nicer seats. Feels like a much better deal than $10 for a much smaller screen and worse sound.

I know RPX, I don't do it anymore (at least not at Hacienda Crossings) after a horrendous experience at opening night of Pacific Rim where the sound was cranked so high it made me nauseous. And I have very good hearing, but I just cannot tell the fine differences between Atmos and normal 7.1, that sounds fine to me.

I always try to go for the 400-seat auditorium (the one that was not converted into an RPX).

Edited by TServo2049

I know RPX, I don't do it anymore (at least not at Hacienda Crossings) after a horrendous experience at opening night of Pacific Rim where the sound was cranked so high it made me nauseous. And I have very good hearing, but I just cannot tell the fine differences between Atmos and normal 7.1, that sounds fine to me.

I always try to go for the 400-seat auditorium (the one that was not converted into an RPX).

Only bad experience with RPX sound was with Amazing Spider-Man 2. Zimmer's score was annoying as hell during the Electro parts of that movie. JP4 experience was great last weekend. Sound was not cranked too high.

Hacienda has a legit 70mm screen. The problem is that the current digital version of IMAX looks like shit on a screen that big. Gravity had jagged edges galore.

I saw Interstellar there in 70mm, it looked amazing, but until they get the laser projectors I am never going to another non-film IMAX screening there. (And even then it will only be for native-2D films, unless they ever offer 2D screenings of 3D films, preferrably ones that don't involve just turning off one projector like the one 2D screening of Man of Steel I saw. I hope I get the chance to see the Infinity War movies in full 8K 2D laser IMAX using the maximum projectable resolution, but I know it's probably a fool's hope...)

Edited by TServo2049

Keith just made a showdown including The Avengers, JW, and The Smurfs 3. WTF?

This is just my observation, but I don't think he has his arms around how this whole thing works. 

Hacienda has a legit 70mm screen. The problem is that the current digital version of IMAX looks like shit on a screen that big. Gravity had jagged edges galore.

I saw Interstellar there in 70mm, it looked amazing, but until they get the laser projectors I am never going to another non-film IMAX screening there.

Yeah I don't blame you. I wonder if they will put in the laser projectors for all IMAX screens (including LieMAX). I was actually pretty impressed by the digital IMAX projection quality for Interstellar. Part of that is probably because those IMAX scenes came straight from the highest quality film stock in the world.

But I also went to see the Interstellar at a different theater with its own premium large format called EPIC (Experience Perfection In Cinema) and it sure as heck seemed like the IMAX version had much better color and contrast, especially during the wormhole sequence.

I go for LieMAX whenever possible. The sound on standard screens is so poor these days, and if I'm stuck with a 3D showing on a regular screen it's just not very fun.

Jurassic World had some wonderful surround effects, probably the best I can remember at a theater. At home it's a lot easier to notice.

Edited by cory

Actually I'm hoping for 15%. ;)

SO IN CONCLUSION, The drop will be anywhere from 15 - 25%, anything below 15%, will guarantee 100M this weekend IMO. However, less than 20% doesn't rule it out.