jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

I may be going crazy here, but let's pretend Thursday is only $17M. Give it MOS's Friday and Saturday increases, and a decent 15% Father's Day decrease and you've got $100M for the weekend.

Of course there's always IO coming in and swooping into some of that, but I think $90 million second weekend is a done deal.

Hmm, is it really that big a difference?

It can be. For instance, the last day for public schools here in Seattle was actually today, so the M-T business wouldn't have had those summer weekdays in effect, yet.

I suppose it'd be interesting to start mapping out the various major school districts to figure out when the crossover holidays are and all. Lot of work, though.

15% would be a really good hold. I'd expect something in the 20-30% range. And then another 10% on Thursday.

So 17.5-19.5 for Wednesday. And 16-17 for Thursday.

That's a pretty hard fall on Wednesday considering there's no NBA going on tomorrow.

I feel $20 million tomorrow is a good target.

June 21-23, 2013

MU - $82.4 million

WWZ - $66.4 million

MOS - $41.3 million

I remember that weekend but both WWZ and MU were new openers and MOS dropped hard. Didn't Godzilla also have a terrible drop the same weekend last year? I'm not sure about JW WOM yet because I've had bad track record of liking movies with bad WOM and I love JW.

So 3 more records added to the list:

5-day opening - $259m

Biggest regular Tuesday - $24.8m

Fastest to $250m - 5 days

:D

At this rate, it's pretty much guaranteed to break fastest to $300m, $350m, and $400m, and largest 6-day, 7-day (opening week), 8-day, 9-day, and 10-day openings. Anything after that, as well as second-weekend record, would all be gravy.

Absolutely incredible. You can't go wrong with any of that.

This is phenomenal so far. And...I just don't get it. I really don't understand why it's making these kinds of numbers. The only possible explanation is that Universal execs have not only sold their souls, but the souls of their children and a dozen generations of descendents not yet born, to Beelzebub (whos own biopic will be produced by Universal, come out in December, win all the Oscars and make 3 billion). Aaaanyway...I am definitely enjoying this box office ride.

• Like 6

So 3 more records added to the list:

5-day opening - $259m

Biggest regular Tuesday - $24.8m

Fastest to $250m - 5 days

:D

What are the records for non-opening, non-holiday Wed and Thurs? Are they within reach?