jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

What are the records for non-opening, non-holiday Wed and Thurs? Are they within reach?

Those are both in mid to high 20s due to films released around 4th of July and Thanksgiving, so not really possible.

Would still be impressed with a $20m Wednesday, though.

What are the records for non-opening, non-holiday Wed and Thurs? Are they within reach?

Unfortunately due to franchises like Transformers and Amazing Spider-Man that opened on Monday/Tuesday, that chart is completely fucked.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

For movies that weren't in their second day of release, the record is $20.8m by Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Pretty sure that was the day before Thanksgiving so it definitely had some holiday boost (all kids out of school plus a lot of adults off work). Next is Avatar at $18.46m on December 30th. All kids out of school and again a lot of adults off work during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Dark Knight is probably the cleanest comparison for JP4 (summer weekdays) at $18.37m. You have to go all the way to 5th on the list to get a decent comparison, lol.

• Like 2

This is phenomenal so far. And...I just don't get it. I really don't understand why it's making these kinds of numbers. The only possible explanation is that Universal execs have not only sold their souls, but the souls of their children and a dozen generations of descendents not yet born, to Beelzebub (whos own biopic will be produced by Universal, come out in December, win all the Oscars and make 3 billion). Aaaanyway...I am definitely enjoying this box office ride.

scary times? a lot of shit in the world? bad period for jobs , etc etc ... people need fun, escape , exotism and add vacations lol

• Like 1

Shouldn't this make around $100M second weekend?

On paper, yes. But there's a big wild card known as Inside Out. Nobody knows how much it will affect JW's second weekend, but it's presumed that it will have some impact.

Those are both in mid to high 20s due to films released around 4th of July and Thanksgiving, so not really possible.

Would still be impressed with a $20m Wednesday, though.

Unfortunately due to franchises like Transformers and Amazing Spider-Man that opened on Monday/Tuesday, that chart is completely fucked.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/days/nonopening.htm?page=Wed&p=.htm

For movies that weren't in their second day of release, the record is $20.8m by Hunger Games: Catching Fire. Pretty sure that was the day before Thanksgiving so it definitely had some holiday boost (all kids out of school plus a lot of adults off work). Next is Avatar at $18.46m on December 30th. All kids out of school and again a lot of adults off work during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Dark Knight is probably the cleanest comparison for JP4 (summer weekdays) at $18.37m. You have to go all the way to 5th on the list to get a decent comparison, lol.

Thanks. Wow you guys are so informative.

I just asked for those numbers to set some realistic expectation. So based on the history any numbers over 18m on Wed would be great. ^_^ .

scary times? a lot of shit in the world? bad period for jobs , etc etc ... people need fun, escape , exotism and add vacations lol

Ooookay...that has pretty much been the case for the last few years, but we've never had this kind of performance, even from truly entertaining movies, so that is why I am baffled. Eh...

I remember that weekend but both WWZ and MU were new openers and MOS dropped hard. Didn't Godzilla also have a terrible drop the same weekend last year? I'm not sure about JW WOM yet because I've had bad track record of liking movies with bad WOM and I love JW.

Godzilla lost a lot of theaters that weekend and had bad WOM. MOS also wasn't nearly as well received as JW.

JW's final total and box office patterns are going to be so hard to predict from here on out.  there's no precedence for this type of box office performance.  like titanic, avatar, and the dark knight before it this is going to take its own path (not the only movies to have unprecedented box office performances but they're the big ones we've all heard of) and leave us all in shock.

• Like 1

hmm..... not bad......

TDK total would be a good target from here.

Personally, I think TDK is a lock. Unless somehow the upcoming films take away from JW, this is already far and ahead of TDK and could challenge TA1 if everything goes right.