jb007

Tuesday Actuals: JW 24.3M | DOWN GOES TDK TUESDAY | Not the Spielberg, Cameron, or Nolan thread!

Well AVATAR didn't open to 200M..

I know. That's part of the reason why i don't see an OW of 200M being part of the formula for grossing nearly 800M Dom.

Well not Until inflation makes a 200M OW, equivalent to today's 80M OW at least :)

People are setting the bar too high to the point where no matter what it makes they'll think it's a disappointment. 

I know, right.

Suddenly a movie that isn't locked to make 500m yet is somehow expected to take down Avatar?? That's why we can't have a good thing.

• Like 1

As far as the realistic gross for JW...

For BSG purposes, I kind of need North Korea to take personal offense against the film and threaten Universal with total annihilation if the film isn't removed from cinemas on Thursday.

Preferably about 10pm Thursday

I know, right.

Suddenly a movie that isn't locked to make 500m yet is somehow expected to take down Avatar?? That's why we can't have a good thing.

I agree it's too early to bet on it taking down Avatar, but it's definitely no where near impossible...just extremely hard

Plus, it's going to be close to 400m if not 375 at the end of this weekend. Do you think it's only going to make another 100-125m after a 85-110m weekend? That's less likely then actually beating Avatar

Lol this thing is murdering The Dark Knight in ticket sales right now. Lol. It isn't even close.

That's not *really* true. It's ahead a bit because of the weekend but the weekdays are the same, TDK probably sold more tix. But they're both playing at the highest capacity these movies could reasonably play at. The film is performing amazingly.

I agree it's too early to bet on it taking down Avatar, but it's definitely no where near impossible...just extremely hard

Plus, it's going to be close to 400m if not 375 at the end of this weekend. Do you think it's only going to make another 100-125m after a 85-110m weekend? That's less likely then actually beating Avatar

I think this is gonna make 170m atleast and possibly 200m after that. Still beating titanic or Avengers is the best one should hope for.

Its impossible for this to beat Avatar because this is simply not as good or groundbreaking a film! I liked it but this is not good enough to become the highest grossing ever. This actually doesn't even deserve this much, not that deservings got anything to do with it. Out of the previous very big grossers Avatar was groundbreaking and a land mark achievment in visual effects. Titanic was a very good and easily moving and lovable movie that was also a achievment in visual effects and CGI. Avengers was a movie followed by mega-budgeted marketing (the previous MCU movies) and had the major novelty of having these loved heroes all together. It was also very good too. The Dark Knight was a very good film, with wondorous acting and the death of that very actor. It was the best movie ever of the genre whose evn avg movies make a lot. The original Jurrasic Park was again a landmark achievement in visual effects. Plus pretty realistic and high-budgeted dinos for the first time which also gave it a major novelty factor. It was very good and widely loved too. E.T, Star Wars etc, etc allwere actually exceptional movies. Yes shitty movies make quite a lot of moneg these days and JW is actually above avg with nostalgia factor but if it ends up becoming the highest grosser ever than i will finally lose all faith in people and their choices.

Note - all that i wrote about films is the critics and experts and also, slightly, general audience's view not my personal so don't reply with such a comment as - well i didn't think avatar/titanic was any good or cinematic achievment.

Edited by Infernus

It isn't even locked to do that. Very likely of course but still isn't a lock. What if IO breaks out big and JW drops 70% this weekend? We're only in the fifth day of it's run.

I don't see Avatar ever going down to a 200M opener. It will be something that opens around 100M but then has a crazy hold 75-80M second weekend that will do it.

Now if such a film ever will exist is another thing entirely. :)

(If JW has a 150M+ 2nd W/E though, I take all the above back)

So you mean a slightly bigger 'American Sniper'?

BTW Star Wars could do it if it opened to 200m and had great WOM with its release date.

Edited by jessie