#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Also has a decent chance at $450 million in 14 days and $500 million in 17 days. If the latter happens, #2 domestic all-time is a real possibility.

A week from now, we could be saying that #2 is locked, and Avatar could be under legitimate threat.

• Like 2

My bad... you are correct.  I obviously need to see it again if I forget such details.

Funny... in my quick search on what actually happened I came across many who hate that scene... from hard core feminists using it as an example of why this film hates woman to people like you that feel that movie deaths have to follow a formula.

I, for one, believe she did deserve to die.

I fail to see the difference from this death and the opening scene from Jaws.

I don't think that movie deaths have to follow a formula... but there's many different things a movie death offers and this one didn't fit well into any, really. (For example, there are two key differences between this and your JAWS example: first off, in JAWS, that death kicks off the whole concept. It establishes the danger and the threat. Secondly, that girl was basically just an extra. We knew nothing about her. An equivalent death in JW would be

the random dude who gets munched by the I-Rex when it first escapes.

The weird thing about the British girl was how oddly specific and capricious it seemed. What was the point of her death? It was way too specific (and too much time spent) to be just another person being wiped out, it seemed over-the-top for a "punishment" (since, as others mentioned, she never really did anything that bad), and it didn't really serve as a stunning shocker because plenty of people had already died. Totally, it just felt weird.

• Like 2

A week from now, we could be saying that #2 is locked, and Avatar could be under legitimate threat.

Now now, I still think Avatar is a pipe dream.

First, let's watch for a $13M Monday. Then, watch for $450M by Thursday, then $500M by Sunday, and then see when it passes $600M (should be a lock it $500M in 17 days happens). Still a long way to go before we can even discuss Avatar.

• Like 2

So I just watched the first 15 minutes of Jupiter Ascending.

Holy fuck this is fucking awful. That's some seriously shitty ass shit.

I came in to this with low expectations because I have heard many disappointed reviews, but damn, the first 15 minutes so far have just been fucking brutal so far. I had to take a break and try some dinner.

I'll try more later. It's bound to pick up, right?

No, it gets worse :)

Haven't even got to Redmayne yet...

that's why I put multiple qualifiers in there "could be" and "a week from now"

As of right now it's not a lock to pass Titanic, and not even a lock to pass Avengers just yet. Though the way it's going, I'd be very surprised if it just stopped right now and finished below Avengers.

It's guaranteed to be above AOU by/with Friday.

TA2 opened the first weekend of May with $191M.

JW is now about to gross in 15 days what TA2 does in 57 days.

This thing is a monster. Holy crap.

Edited by superduperm
  • Like 1

TA2 opened the first weekend of May with $191M.

JW is now about to gross in 15 days what TA2 does in 57 days.

This thing is a monster. Holy crap.

It passed Frozen's entire run in 10 days.

First, let's watch for a $13M Monday. Then, watch for $450M by Thursday, then $500M by Sunday, and then see when it passes $600M (should be a lock it $500M in 17 days happens). Still a long way to go before we can even discuss Avatar.

13M might be a little too low.

What if JW makes 15m tomorrow?

15 is possible, but the biggest argument against it is that JW made 17.8 on Thursday. Usually a Thursday/Monday weekday drop is going to be a bit more than that this ealy in a movie's run.

But it may very well be close to 15.