#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

When Star Wars is approaching I assume The Coon is going to make a comeback. Wonder if he'll be better about hiding his new accounts than Movie man.

That guy might have been the craziest poster we've ever had, btw. The Star Wars thread was just uncomfortable to read when he was around

Was he the chunky fella who challenged JJ Abrams to a fight or something?

• Like 1

When Star Wars is approaching I assume The Coon is going to make a comeback. Wonder if he'll be better about hiding his new accounts than Movie man.

That guy might have been the craziest poster we've ever had, btw. The Star Wars thread was just uncomfortable to read when he was around

Loved how mad he would get when anyone talked about SW7 getting moved from December. :lol:

I liked Jurassic World in the same way I liked Deep Blue Sea, Anaconda, Species, and all those other corny creature features from the 80s and 90s.  I enjoy cheesy creature features.

Godzilla tried to be this profound and serious movie but failed pretty miserably IMO which instead resulted in a profound and serious bore.

• Like 3

Who else is going to see the Jaws special screenings tomorrow?

Iirc, Jaws is part of a 6-classic film package and you have to pay $30 to watch all of them. I don't believe I can just pay for one individually.

For that reason, I'm automatically out.

Aw, that's cute. All of the sudden, right after Tele announces he despised the film, all the haters are jumping out saying "Yeah uh-huh I agree!"

Well, you haters can have an opinion. But please, keep your tears to yourself tomorrow when the second weekend record is announced ;)

I'm pretty sure my review of it is "Mediocre".

And it's fine that it's doing well. If people want a lazy film, so be it.

• Like 1

Who else is going to see the Jaws special screenings tomorrow?

Me! Always thought it's one of the most overrated blockbusters ever, and I'm eager to see if tomorrow can change my mind at all. It has been at least a decade since I last saw it. Maybe I'll appreciate it more now that I'm older?

Aw, that's cute. All of the sudden, right after Tele announces he despised the film, all the haters are jumping out saying "Yeah uh-huh I agree!"

Well, you haters can have an opinion. But please, keep your tears to yourself tomorrow when the second weekend record is announced ;)

Don't get me (us?) wrong. Just because it is like a 4 or 5/10 for me doesn't me I am not having fun knock down all the of these records.

Even though I think Avengers is th better film, new and box office records to well together!

I guess you're right about JP. It was very special.

I re-read the novel last year and it was amazing how they managed to deftly incorporate so many of the ideas into the movie. This (among many other things) really gave JP so much credibility and narrative heft. JP was nearly perfect (I just hated Laura Dern's acting as a kid, but as I'm older now I see her tryhard as endearing....but still a distraction).

And judging by some of the points made right here about JW's narrative holes, as well as some other small issues, it doesn't belong on JP's pedestal, I suppose. But almost nothing does.

In those days I remember thinking she was so hot I didnt care if she could act or not.

On the bright side, her acting was terrific in Wild, and she's been good in other things so I guess I blame the directing in JP for that. Which is like complaining about a stray brush stroke on the Mona Lisa, but its still valid.

Edited by Wrath

Iirc, Jaws is part of a 6-classic film package and you have to pay $30 to watch all of them. I don't believe I can just pay for one individually.

For that reason, I'm automatically out.

Dang that stinks. My local Regal has two showings of Jaws, one at 2 PM and the other at 7 PM. Going at 2 PM. Cost is $13.50, which is a bit high for a regular 2D show but I figure it's worth the money. Never seen any of the classics before my time on the big screen. Jaws is one of my all-time favorites and is the reason I love Great White sharks.

Speaking of The Lion King, it's shocking how successful the musical continues to be.

Highest grossing Broadway production of all time and still on top on top (2014's highest grossing Broadway production).

I almost wonder if Disney shouldn't have sent the sequel straight to video. Would a proper Lion King sequel have worked? 

Remember when The Lion King 2012 re-release doubled Jurassic Park 2013 re-release DBO?  

• Like 1

In those days I remember thinking she was so hot I didnt care if she could act or not.

On the bright side, her acting was terrific in Wild, and she's been good in other things so I guess I blame the directing in JP for that. Which is like complaining about a stray brush stroke on the Mona Lisa, but its still valid.

She never gave me wood.  In boners I trust.

"stray brush stroke on the Mona Lisa" is about right.  (Also, the raptor-skeptic kid at the beginning was a missed beat.  One other small complaint: the movie never made clear that Nedry was planning to return to the computer lab after dropping off the embryos.  That's stated in the novel - although I missed that detail - and so I never understood how Nedry was planning to evade InGen-hired bounty hunters the rest of his life.)