#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

Interstellar and Gravity put together will still gross less than JW. :lol:

More adult films but that probably proves the dinos>space point even more. SW is a bigger franchise than JP globally I feel pretty confident saying that but then again these holds for JW have been stellar.

I am going into inside out with an open mind. I really like Diane Lane so that is a bonus and I am going to clear my mind. I hope I like the movie. But I doubt it lol

• Like 2

i think (and hope) they're kinda underestimating father's day, so, unbelievably enough, the 2nd weekend record is very much in play! also, universal themselves early predicted 103,3 mill, which i don't think they would unless they feel assured with that number!

the sunday numbers will be very interesting to see!

Uh, yes, I did. I am an engineer. So I live in the nerdy Star Wars world -- it's a huge presence. But we're talking mainstream where many people have no interest in it. A movie has to have multiple quadrant appeal to perform huge!!!

This is only a tiny component. I still think the movie will be huge: nostalgia, superhero fatigue, John Williams, Etc.

• Community Manager

I believe SW7 will be huge! But on the counter argument: dinosaurs are a little bit more mainstream than space.

Counter counter argument: space is more mainstream than dinosaurs BUT dinosaurs have less products filling demand.

Uh, yes, I did. I am an engineer. So I live in the nerdy Star Wars world -- it's a huge presence. But we're talking mainstream where many people have no interest in it. A movie has to have multiple quadrant appeal to perform huge!!!

This is only a tiny component. I still think the movie will be huge: nostalgia, superhero fatigue, John Williams, Etc.

SW is the biggest example of a franchise having major fanboy and GA crossover appeal.

• Like 1

well this is not looking too good. The parking lot is absolutely jammed. I have a feeling I will not be seeing a movie today. But we'll see

Counter counter argument: space is more mainstream than dinosaurs BUT dinosaurs have less products filling demand.

This is very valid. I think back to my youth and dinosaurs and space were equally appealing to me. I liked them both.

Star Wars is arguably the most well-known franchise in popular culture. Everybody knows Star Wars. Doesn't matter if they haven't seen any of the films... they know Star Wars. 

It's as mainstream as you can get in film.