#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

If the internet was around in 1972:

What you talking about? Godfather was CRAP!
No it was great!

In 1968:
I knew that Planet of the Apes was on Earth all along!

In 1960:
Psycho is so crappy-they kill the lead half way through!

1939:
They *gasp* cussed in Gone with the Wind!

• Like 3

sorry bro, but Birdman was a masterpiece

seems like you don't understand cinema yet.

No offense but take a course in cinema online, it will open you to the wonders of Cinematography.

for example: next time you watch a film (such as Birdman) instead of focusing in on the characters, watch what is behind them

In what is pretty much the appearance of zero cuts during the movie’s running time (supposedly there are some edits), you are watching the resemblance of a stage production. The “gimmick” as some would say more than worked for me. It was exhilarating. This is a daunting challenge for actors to pull off. Keaton wasn’t the only star in this. Edward Norton also shines.....

I don't know, that just me and i am into Cinema

Start with a Hitchcock film and pay attention and you'll open to a larger world.

When I first took a course online my reaction the first day was "HOLY HELL!!!" what have i been missing.

That's not how things work. People with different opinions don't “not understand cinema" and hell he didn't even say he disliked it he just said that people left the theatre in the middle of the film

• Community Manager

I was going to try to see Inside Out with my roommate but that didn't happen so I ended up seeing Jurassic World for a second time. It's just as good on the re-watch.

• Like 1

If the internet was around in 1972:

What you talking about? Godfather was CRAP!

No it was great!

In 1968:

I knew that Planet of the Apes was on Earth all along!

In 1960:

Psycho is so crappy-they kill the lead half way through!

1939:

They *gasp* cussed in Gone with the Wind!

Hitchcock is so overrated !

Edited by The Futurist

Laura Dern is an actress I always forget about yet she insists on popping up every now and then to remind me of her existence. Though Wild might've finally changed that for me since I thought she was superb there.

I never even took notice of Laura Dern until TFIOS. I didn't even know she was in JP.

That's not how things work. People with different opinions don't “not understand cinema" and hell he didn't even say he disliked it he just said that people left the theatre in the middle of the film

oh! I wasn't bagging on him. I was just trying to tell him about Cinema, I even mentioned that.

Don't get me wrong!! 

I think it's better than 2/3 but nowhere near the first one. The internet backlash is definitely going to be huge, Avatar-like in how over-the-top people get. We're probably 6 months out from that tho

I'm a trendsetter! :P

(Actually, I'm not, Gopher and Boner, et al beat me to it.)

To expand on my previous top 10 "completely original" OWs, here is the top 10 non-adjusted and adjusted totals for "completely original" films. Same criteria: No sequels, no adaptations of existing works or IP, nothing specifically based on or about historical figures or events. (I will make an exception for original screenplays loosely inspired by real people/events without being explicitly about or "based on" them. I will note those as they come in the list.)

Unadjusted:

1.) Avatar - $760.5m

2.) Star Wars - $461m

3.) E.T. - $435.1m

4.) The Lion King - $422.8m

5.) Finding Nemo - $380.8m

6.) Independence Day - $360.2m

7.) The Sixth Sense - $293.5m

8.) Up - $293m

9.) Inception - $292.6m

10.) Monsters, Inc. - $289.9m

Adjusted:

1.) Star Wars - $1.45b

2.) E.T. - $1.15b

3.) Avatar - $789.7m

4.) The Lion King - $723.9m

5.) The Sting - $723.8m (Wikipedia says it was inspired by real-life cons perpetrated by specific people and documented in a specific book, but the studio did not buy the rights to the work and had to settle with the publisher after the fact. It was not an official adaptation, and it was nominated for and won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, so I am letting it slide.)

6.) Raiders of the Lost Ark - $718.8m

7.) Ghostbusters - $577.8m

8.) Independence Day - $562.5m

9.) Home Alone - $550m

10.) Beverly Hills Cop - $545.3m

If The Sting is disqualified for even being unofficially based on something, then 10th place would be taken by American Graffiti ($533.6m).

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

One thing I have to give JW a lot of credit for in today's hyper connected, sequel oriented movies is that it does not do any blatant sequel baiting. No ominous end scene where a guy appears and says "We can now proceed with phase 2" or something similar. It told a close ended story with possible sequel plants in between but they didn't beat the audience over the head with "This is what we will be doing for the sequel". Even the press tour was pretty much concentrated on just this movie instead of a hypothetical JW2. It seemed like most of the AOU press tour was talking about movies 3-4 years down the line, Ant-Man's press tour already looks like it will be a Civil War question, Terminator is talking up the sequels and the Chappie press tour was a disaster of the highest order.

• Like 1

I think it's better than 2/3 but nowhere near the first one. The internet backlash is definitely going to be huge, Avatar-like in how over-the-top people get. We're probably 6 months out from that tho

Please, Tele and Gopher are already beginning the member sacrifices to gain the magic power needed to tank the forum's opinion via mind control.

indy3.jpg

• Like 6

I never even took notice of Laura Dern until TFIOS. I didn't even know she was in JP.

Look at this, amazing, David Lynch, with no back up from the company who financed his Inland Empire movie, campaigned for Laura Dern by doing this :

lynchcow1.jpg

• Like 1

One thing I have to give JW a lot of credit for in today's hyper connected, sequel oriented movies is that it does not do any blatant sequel baiting.

Or with just about every b-movie made in the 1950s-1970s :P

(Which was why tons of people in 1980 hated ESB was because cliffhangers happened like that then with no sequels coming out)