#ED

Weekend Estimates: JW: 102 IO 91...RTH: Sun JW 38.3 | IO 25.3 with possible upsides PG 287, possible 107M for JW weekend

One thing I have to give JW a lot of credit for in today's hyper connected, sequel oriented movies is that it does not do any blatant sequel baiting. No ominous end scene where a guy appears and says "We can now proceed with phase 2" or something similar. It told a close ended story with possible sequel plants in between but they didn't beat the audience over the head with "This is what we will be doing for the sequel". Even the press tour was pretty much concentrated on just this movie instead of a hypothetical JW2. It seemed like most of the AOU press tour was talking about movies 3-4 years down the line, Ant-Man's press tour already looks like it will be a Civil War question, Terminator is talking up the sequels and the Chappie press tour was a disaster of the highest order.

Another thing:

In an industry where the latest tentpole is all about the world ending or whatever, the stakes were not high in this movie and the film knows it. Ultimately the worst case scenario is you have dinosaurs running wild on an island isolated from mankind. Big deal.

Remember Ultron's scheme in TA2, which was just a rehash of Loki's destroy the world scheme in TA1? Keep crying wolf on this kind of stuff and the audience will grow tired of it at some point.

• Like 1

KYA: Know Your Acronyms. #1 rule of posting here. ;)

It's going to be fun when the sequel to JW is called Jurassic War and we have to use the same acronym.

Well there was that really bad film from the 1960s I saw called TISCWSLABMUZ

(Wonders if anyone can figure out what film this is)

I'd only check the forums for the BO estimates, I said. None if that refresh every new post business, I continued. I definitely won't get caught up in posting, I claimed.

How do you guys have lives?

Lives? What is that?

;)

• Community Manager

I'd only check the forums for the BO estimates, I said. None if that refresh every new post business, I continued. I definitely won't get caught up in posting, I claimed.

We're actually cats, petty human. That's how we have nine lives.

Please, Tele and Gopher are already beginning the member sacrifices to gain the magic power needed to tank the forum's opinion via mind control.

The backlash will start small - people will start picking on one point like a pointless death and will repeat it over and over and over until the first thing people think of when they hear Jurassic World will be "that movie with the pointless death". Then add a few character motivations into the mix, a few allegations of sexism and then bring in the big guns - "The heroes did not save as many people as they could and instead only cared about their immediate family", and then "It is basically just fueled by JP nostalgia". Then we reach the final stage - pointing out ridiculous plotholes, how did Chris Pratt reach the headquarters building?

• Like 4

we don't

we are all in the THEATER as we type all this stuff.

I live at the CINEMA

sorry bro, but Birdman was a masterpiece

seems like you don't understand cinema yet.  

No offense but take a course in cinema online, it will open you to the wonders of Cinematography.

for example: next time you watch a film (such as Birdman) instead of focusing in on the characters,  watch what is behind them

In what is pretty much the appearance of zero cuts during the movie’s running time (supposedly there are some edits), you are watching the resemblance of a stage production. The “gimmick” as some would say more than worked for me. It was exhilarating. This is a daunting challenge for actors to pull off. Keaton wasn’t the only star in this. Edward Norton also shines.....

I don't know, that is just HOW I ROLL as far as Cinema.

Start with a Hitchcock film and pay attention and you'll open to a larger world.

When I first took a course online my reaction the first day was "HOLY HELL!!!" what have I been missing.

I'm not sure how any of that changes the fact that it's only movie I've ever seen that has caused people to walk out of the cinema during the film.

I understand your point though, I mean the movie is full things that don't have any purpose in terms of the plot and only serve to allow to director to tell you how good he is at film making. It's a bore of a movie, but it sure was a well made film. If there was any real substance in the movie it might just be watchable.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 1

The backlash will start small - people will start picking on one point like a pointless death and will repeat it over and over and over until the first thing people think of when they hear Jurassic World will be "that movie with the pointless death". Then add a few character motivations into the mix, a few allegations of sexism and then bring in the big guns - "The heroes did not save as many people as they could and instead only cared about their immediate family", and then "It is basically just fueled by JP nostalgia". Then we reach the final stage - pointing out ridiculous plotholes, how did Chris Pratt reach the headquarters building?

SPOILERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I think it's better than 2/3 but nowhere near the first one. The internet backlash is definitely going to be huge, Avatar-like in how over-the-top people get. We're probably 6 months out from that tho

Which would be funny given how self-aware the movie is. 

6 months from now:

People:  Omg Jurassic World is so dumb!

Me:  You think?

• Like 1

Well there was that really bad film from the 1960s I saw called TISCWSLABMUZ

(Wonders if anyone can figure out what film this is)

The incredibly strange creature who stopped living and became mixed up zombies?

• Like 1

Which would be funny given how self-aware the movie is. 

6 months from now:

People:  Omg Jurassic World is so dumb!

Me:  You think?

"That big dumb dinosaur movie with the fanservicey finale is so big and dumb and fanservicey!"

• Like 1