kayumanggi

RAMPAGE | 13 April 2018 | Warner Brothers | Dwayne Johnson

1 hour ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

When you think about it, that move would actually be beneficial to Rampage, as 1) it gets two weeks of no competition, 2) then it has a harsher drop through IW, but then 3) the two weekends after IW go back to having no real competition. So it can hold on for a solid month in there, until Deadpool 2 hits which is when the theater count starts going down.

That's a better idea than mine - and I promise this is the last time I'll mention it, switching it with Crazy Rich Asians, though Captive State might be just sci-fi-y enough to give it competition - in August. There's not anything on the 13th that would be direct, similar programming to it.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Morieris said:

That's a better idea than mine - and I promise this is the last time I'll mention it, switching it with Crazy Rich Asians, though Captive State might be just sci-fi-y enough to give it competition - in August. There's not anything on the 13th that would be direct, similar programming to it.

That's not a bad idea either, but I would rather capitalize on the hype wave of a post-Jumanji Rock. Plus, an August change would put it just a month after another Rock action movie, Skyscraper. Crazy Rich Asians, as a comedy, also would have way more competition than Rampage would (I Feel Pretty, Life Of The Party and Book Club in the span of a month).

For the record, I wouldn't bet much on Captive State, since it's being released by Focus (I don't expect more than 50-52M DOM, which is where the far more hyped up Atomic Blonde landed). Although there is an okay shot it wins that weekend. That is actually one of the most fascinating weekends of the Summer to me - really curious where both it, Crazy Rich Asians, White Boy Rick and Happytime Murders land. I wouldn't count out The Happytime Murders anytime soon - Melissa McCarthy + Muppets + whodunnit crime thriller comedy = GA Heaven.

• Like 2

August 24th or 31st might actually be good spots for Rampage IMO. 

-no real PG-13 tentpole competition until Venom in October

-the weekend before Labor Day would give it a stellar second-weekend hold and possibly the Labor Day weekend record unadjusted if it does $45-55 million OW. 

-Labor Day weekend would give it a publicity boost of likely having the highest Labor Day OW by a large margin

-status as last summer blockbuster

-potential to start trend of smaller tentpole opening right before Labor Day, killing the notion of the last two weekends of August/first weekend of September being a no-man's land. 

1 hour ago, mahnamahna said:

August 24th or 31st might actually be good spots for Rampage IMO. 

-no real PG-13 tentpole competition until Venom in October

-the weekend before Labor Day would give it a stellar second-weekend hold and possibly the Labor Day weekend record unadjusted if it does $45-55 million OW. 

-Labor Day weekend would give it a publicity boost of likely having the highest Labor Day OW by a large margin

-status as last summer blockbuster

-potential to start trend of smaller tentpole opening right before Labor Day, killing the notion of the last two weekends of August/first weekend of September being a no-man's land. 

Venom is rated R

52 minutes ago, RRA said:

Why?

They're too close and too deep in marketing to push it back that far.

Unless WB wants it to turn out like Rings, which had a trailer out for October of 2016 before being pushed to February of 2017. This isn't to say it'll have the quality of that film, but it's not good to put out a trailer with the release date and then push it back even further.

Edited by NoobSaibot

It won't move to August for the fact alone that it would be beyond stupid to pit a big budget Johnson action film against another big budget Johnson action film. And this would be the one most at the disadvantage coming second. Unless it moved to late August, but even that seems like too close of proximity to Skyscraper. 

• Like 1

What's the likelihood that it is too late contractually to move it up a week?  How late is a point of no return for a wide release like this (and something that doesn't have mega star power behind it)?

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

What's the likelihood that it is too late contractually to move it up a week?  How late is a point of no return for a wide release like this (and something that doesn't have mega star power behind it)?

:winomg:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nick64 said:

:winomg:

Don't give me that. ;)  I simply meant a movie that wasn't guaranteed to make ALL THE MONIEZ.  

Is anyone here REALLY trying to tell me that Rampage moving up a week is the same as Infinity War moving up a week when it comes to bullying theaters to possibly break/rework already set contracts?  If so:

winonanew1.png

right back atcha. :P

Yes, Jumanji 2 was a smash hit that even right now is massively over-performing.  This movie doesn't appear to be in the same league though.  That's all I was noting.

So, again, this time rephrased to satisfy the pendants, how likely is it that it is now too late contractually to move it up a week?  How late is a point of no return for a wide release not named something like Infinity War?

And I ask this because IF WB doesn't move this, maybe that's why.  Or maybe there's downsides to moving it up that we don't know.  THAT is the sort of info I was asking about.  Basically trying to figure out if there is a reason why WB might not move it outside of them being allegedly dumb.

Now if there is no/little downside at all and things aren't locked in stone yet, then consider the question asked and answered. :)