baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

Anchorman and HTTYD were definitely beloved. Anchorman was a cult classic and Dragon not only had phenomenal legs, but almost every single person I spoke to in real life liked it a lot - and this goes on even years after it was released. The whole pet thing it has going on for it surely helped.

Anchorman never needed a sequel however and waited way too long for one it did.

I honestly don't know why Dragon disappointed. I wanted a sequel.

Panda I'm not sure was beloved. J-Katz announced a billion sequels after opening weekend. I'm sure everyone took note.

Happy Feet was not beloved.

The Avengers was definitely not beloved. Everyone knows the sequels are endless with the Marvel universe. Half their movies aren't even full stories but setting up shit. Well received, yes. Beloved, no.

I know you're saying the same thing but I don't think the GA thinks that those three movies are beloved so your point is moot.

Dragon 2 had a pretty ho-hum marketing, had the TV series behind and it was released a long 4.5 years after the first film. Plus, action-oriented animation doesn't make as much as comedy flicks.

Happy Feet was beloved, it sold a huge amount of DVD's. But had also a very long gap between the sequel and the original, and looked like it was like a fad of the moment.

KFP2 had a marketing that didn't up the ante besides it being a sequel nobody asked for (but given the first movie made more than $100m DWA greenlighted immediately the sequel :ph34r:). Add to it that, again, action-oriented doesn't do well compared to "funny" animations.

Wtf. It did not disappoint because of gay marriage burnout.

It's people like you who often sully legitimate claims of pre-opening calls with stupid reasons for your purported calls.

easy there, sister.  that's my opinion, while your opinion is that moviegoers :wub: gay marriage advocacy movies.  no reason to rage.

The Avengers was definitely not beloved.

Ted was not a comedy smash.

You're not smart. I don't know anything about you personally, I'm just drawing that conclusion based on your posts.

• Like 3

If anyone cares.

1/2). Jurassic World (UNI), 4,198 theatersicon1.png (-93)/ $14.4M Fri. (-51%)/ 3-day cume: $46.5-50M (-54%)/Total Cume: $493.1M / Wk 3

1/2). Inside Out (DIS), 4,132 theaters (+186) / $14.8M Fri. (-57%) / 3-day cume: $47.5-50M (-46%) /Total cume: $181/ Wk 2

3). Ted 2 (DIS), 3,429 theaters / $12.5M Fri.* / 3-day cume: $31M / Wk 1
*includes $2.6M previewsicon1.png

4). Max (WB), 2,882 theaters / $4M Fri.**/ 3-day cume: $11.3M / Wk 1
**includes $500K previews

5). Spy (FOX), 3,194 theaters (-364%)/ $2.2M Fri. (-31%)/ 3-day cume: $6.9M (-38%) / Total cume: $87.3M / Wk 4

6). San Andreas (WB), 2,620 theaters (-557) / $1.5M Fri. (-34%) / 3-day cume: $5M (-43%) / Total cume: $141.3M/ Wk 5

7). Dope (OPRD), 1,851 theaters (-151) / $853K Fri. (-64%)/ 3-day cume: $2.6M (-57%) / Total cume: $11.4 /Wk 2

8). Insidious Chapter 3 (FOC), 1,612 theaters (-941)/ $641K Fri. (-56%) / 3-day cume: $1.8M (-56%) / Total cume: $49.6M / Wk 4

9). Mad Max: Fury Road (WB), 961 theaters (-463) / $451K Fri. (-39%) / 3-day cume: $1.6M (-46%) / Total cume: $147M / Wk 7

10). Avengers: Age of Ultron (DIS), 1,097 theaters (-565) / $441K Fri. (-40%) / 3-day cume: $1.5M (-47%) / Total cume: $452.3M / Wk 9

This has been a pretty decent summer for AOU.

8th biggest grosser DOM and 5th biggest grosser WW.

Soon to be 6th, and possibly 7th by early January, but you're right. 5th biggest movie of all time. It is indeed a bit of a stretch to call #5 all-time biggest movie ever too much of a disappointment.

• Like 1

549m WW from a 50m budget? Don't be ridiculous.

(Also note that I couldn't care less that Ted 2's underperforming. It looks shit.)

I know it made a lot of money but I meant it in terms of word of mouth.

I can still remember coming out of the cinema on a fair night and feeling what a disappointment it was. The last movie I saw in England before returning home. Waste of time. Waste of the concept.

Not that I've seen JW or IO but after two weekends of good movies doing well, I'm ready to cheer for a half assed concept and comedian to flop and "bomb" spectacularly. Your time is up.

Man, those numbers for Ted 2 are surprisingly poor. All signs point to the first being very well-liked, so it should've at least opened higher than its predecessor with much weaker legs. But I'm kinda glad some movie disappointed because we've been spoiled with humoungous breakouts for the past few weeks. Something needed to bring our expectations back down to earth.

Man, those numbers for Ted 2 are surprisingly poor. All signs point to the first being very well-liked, so it should've at least opened higher than its predecessor with much weaker legs. But I'm kinda glad some movie disappointed because we've been spoiled with humoungous breakouts for the past few weeks. Something needed to bring our expectations back down to earth.

"Poor" doesn't cut it. This should end up way below 100m DOM, and presumably not too hot WW, either.

This is a straight-up bomb.  If it tanks hard enough next weekend, we could be looking at a Bomb of the Year contender....like MacFarlane's last movie.

Edited by DavidBrennan

I see people have boarded the 'I'm not surprised about Ted 2' train, but I haven't - regardless of quality sequels to comedy smashes usually open huge.

Great post.  Amazing how people post this after it's opening and not months before when it would show how smart they are.

I for one am not surprised that Jurassic World had the highest opening and second weekend of all time, after all, I'm so smart, I knew it was going to happen.  What's wrong with you people?  

• Like 4

You know you have a Hangover 2 image as your avatar, right?

I certainly do. But at least i've seen it and enjoyed it very much...And it did some things that were different.

Nah...i'm talking about either PG-13 or R-rated comedy sequels like 22JS (which i liked and found funny) & Meet The Fockers. You know...comedy sequels that may have the similar stuff but needs to remember how to offer new things too.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34

Seems my instincts about IO after seeing it were correct. It didn't connect with everyone.

Surprised you would say something like this.  You've been around the box office for a long time, you know how to do research.  IO's second Friday jump is actually really quite good, in fact it's better than Toy Story 3's second Friday jump.  You have to look at the time of year.  We're in full summer mode now, jumping 55% on Friday is actually really strong.  Here is TS3:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=toystory3.htm

Monster's U:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=monstersinc2.htm

Brave:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=bearandthebow.htm

And so on.

• Like 1

Great post.  Amazing how people post this after it's opening and not months before when it would show how smart they are.

I for one am not surprised that Jurassic World had the highest opening and second weekend of all time, after all, I'm so smart, I knew it was going to happen.  What's wrong with you people?  

I have gotten used to it. lol

Parents should praise their children more to avoid this kind of situation in the future. Ha ha. #praisehungry

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Hangover 2.  Yes, it was pretty much a repeat of the first but some extra raunchy situations but it floored me.  I laughed a lot.

out of left field: 

Baumer

WHY IS HIGHLANDER II -THE QUICKENING 

Not in your TOP 105 films of all-time?

371.gif

Because my top 105 movies are all 10/10's or better.  Highlander 2 was about a 6.

• Like 1

"Poor" doesn't cut it. This should end up way below 100m DOM, and presumably not too hot WW, either.

This is a straight-up bomb.  If it tanks hard enough next weekend, we could be looking at a Bomb of the Year contender....like MacFarlane's last movie.

I'd say Tomorrowland and its $190 million production cost still stakes that claim.

So.... we have gone from 3 movies over 50m to no movie over 50m..... a disappointing weekend I suppose, after two amazing ones.

Jurassic World should be able to clear 600m, but I doubt it would be able to beat The Avengers' total.

$300m should be the target for Inside out. If it follows TS3's pattern it will finish with $335m, with Cars 2's pattern $319m, with Brave's pattern $330m and with MU's pattern $280m. MU had DM2 in its 3rd week and Turbo in its 5th week, while IO has Minions in its 4th week, so it has easier competition.