baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

So.... we have gone from 3 movies over 50m to no movie over 50m..... a disappointing weekend I suppose, after two amazing ones.

Jurassic World should be able to clear 600m, but I doubt it would be able to beat The Avengers' total.

$300m should be the target for Inside out. If it follows TS3's pattern it will finish with $335m, with Cars 2's pattern $319m, with Brave's pattern $330m and with MU's pattern $280m. MU had DM2 in its 3rd week and Turbo in its 5th week, while IO has Minions in its 4th week, so it has easier competition.

It will easily pass Avengers.  

• Like 1

I called it!  I said major disappointment because of

-gay marriage burnout (despite a relentless push by corporate America)

-the MacFarlane brand of humor - middle-aged dudes dressing like teenagers, guzzling beer, and making pop culture references - is completely exhausted.  I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did

If I'd been paying more attention, I would've spearheaded the under 50m OW thread.

lololololol

What does that even mean??

Such a non-sensical reasoning.......eurgh

• Like 3

It will easily pass Avengers.  

It can pass Avengers, but easy is not the term I'd use to describe it.

Assuming it does 47-47.5m this weekend, it will do 70m for the week. From here, 50% weekly drops will take it to 585m finish, 45% drops will take it to $600m finish and 40% drops will take it to $620m.

$600-610m is my range atm.

I have gotten used to it. lol

Parents should praise their children more to avoid this kind of situation in the future. Ha ha. #praisehungry

I hope this wasn't aimed at me.... I really didnt do that post for praise or something... I really believed in the movie (or rather, in marvel) since the start.

Assuming it does 47-47.5m this weekend, it will do 70m for the week. From here, 50% weekly drops will take it to 585m finish, 45% drops will take it to $600m finish and 40% drops will take it to $620m.

And why would it drop 50% from here out?  

I already broke this down on the first or second page.  Based off a 50 mill weekend, it will do at least another 85-95 mill on weekends.  The weekdays will add another 40-50 mill.  I have it doing 630-650.

No its definitely going to pass it. The worst case scenario is 620m. These are its late weeks its not gonna start dropping 50 or even 45% from here when it didn't drop that much even in its first two weeks. Plus it will have July weekdays for its late legs. Also we have the 4th of July week incoming. I dont see how its gonna drop so bad so as to lose a 43m lead over Avengers.

• Like 1

Seems my instincts about IO after seeing it were correct. It didn't connect with everyone.   Surprised you would say something like this.  You've been around the box office for a long time, you know how to do research.  IO's second Friday jump is actually really quite good, in fact it's better than Toy Story 3's second Friday jump.  You have to look at the time of year.  We're in full summer mode now, jumping 55% on Friday is actually really strong.  Here is TS3:   http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=toystory3.htm   Monster's U:   http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=monstersinc2.htm   Brave:   http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=daily&id=bearandthebow.htm   And so on.
Yes, its legs are in line with Pixar's last few movies, but one may have been hoping for more given its original status and the more overwhelming praise compared to Brave
  • Like 1

So this is from the Thursday thread: (and the Friday increase is already better)

If JW follows a typical pattern of the last weekend in June, it will do something like:

Friday:  13.6 (+51%)

St:  19.7 (+45%)

Sun: 16.3 (-20%)

49.6 mill, total after Sunday will be about 496 million.  Terrible sign for sure.

• Like 1

@Fake:

Here's how I break it down:

If I had to guess, I'd say it starts dropping in the high 30's to low 40's after this.  So a pure guess would be:

After this weekend:  495 mill

Weekend 4:  30 mill

Weekend 5: 19.5

Weekend 6: 13

Weekend 7:  7

Weekend 8: 5

Weekend 9: 3.5

Weekend 10:  2

That's 80 mill 

• Like 2

Seems like IO will probably limp its way to 300 mil which isn't bad at all... some people feared that this would be Pixar's first flop and nope. One of their bigger hits, no matter how you slice it at this point. For Disney, who are reeling from the failed TL, I'm sure they are more than pleased with the result here.

As for Ted 2... I know ppl are saying that it should have been huge but I just knew it. The trailers sold a completely boring story, and it's all due to Seth going in a safer, lazier direction rather than doing something legitimately insane again.