baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

I just got back and wow, I just missed one heck of a weekend and one heck of a Sunday result. 90m opening for Inside Out? That's insane, 300m seems guaranteed.

49% drop from a record breakingn opening weekend for Jurassic World in summer? That's also insane, it could beat the Avengers.

2.6m for TED 2 is pretty poor but the competition is strong from holdovers.

• Like 1

I just got back and wow, I just missed one heck of a weekend and one heck of a Sunday result. 90m opening for Inside Out? That's insane, 300m seems guaranteed.

49% drop from a record breakingn opening weekend for Jurassic World in summer? That's also insane, it could beat the Avengers.

2.6m for TED 2 is pretty poor but the competition is strong from holdovers.

• Like 2

@BoxOffice: Warner Bros. and MGM report that MAX earned an estimated $500,000 from Thursday night shows. #Max

I didn't even know about this until yesterday, when I saw the trailer before JW (I see there's a thread, I guess I saw "Max" in the title and lumped it in with the Fury Road talk). Max doesn't scream "Thursday night previews", seems like a movie that should've been released in the winter or early fall, like when they put out Eight Below or Dolphin Tale.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica

Wow, that preview number is absolutely abysmal for Ted 2, considering it only did the same as the first did despite being a sequel. I predicted 65 million this weekend and was one of the few vouching for it in the three-way weekend topic, so this number is disappointing to me. I thought the saturation of marketing combined with how insanely popular the first one was at the time would carry it to at least 60 million, but after the two greatest weeks in box office history, something had to take a hit, and it looks like Ted.

As for the movie itself, the first 90 minutes were extremely funny and the crowd absolutely ate it up, but it hits a wall with about a half hour to go and the third act is pretty much shit. So there's that. Take that what you will for WOM.

• Like 1

Yup, Ted 2's coming in third. First one had a 20.6m OD, wouldn't be surprised if this one doesn't crack 16m today. Should be right in line with JW and IO actually (14-16m).

I don't think anything breaks low fifties this weekend actually. JW low fifties, IO high forties, Ted 2 low-mid 40s.

First, IO finishes ahead of JW on Thur and now Ted 2 eanrs mediocre Thur-night gross. The evidence that IO may win the weekend is piling up but I don't wanna be disappointed by increasing my expectations. A $50M gross for IO will be enough, regardless of position on weekend chart.

Wow, that preview number is absolutely abysmal for Ted 2, considering it only did the same as the first did despite being a sequel. I predicted 65 million this weekend and was one of the few vouching for it in the three-way weekend topic, so this number is disappointing to me. I thought the saturation of marketing combined with how insanely popular the first one was at the time would carry it to at least 60 million, but after the two greatest weeks in box office history, something had to take a hit, and it looks like Ted.

As for the movie itself, the first 90 minutes were extremely funny and the crowd absolutely ate it up, but it hits a wall with about a half hour to go and the third act is pretty much shit. So there's that. Take that what you will for WOM.

I hear the third act gets a bit sappy... true?