baumer

Weekend Thread JW 54.2M, hits 500 | IO 52M | pg 99

I hear the third act gets a bit sappy... true?

Sappy, predictable, forced, AND boring. Bad combo all around. Too bad, because I found the first two acts very funny and (for a Mcfarlane movie) shockingly poignant. 

14.8 (+56%)

19 (+28%)

15.6 (-18%)

49.4 for IO

14.95 (+68%)

20.63 (+38%)

15.47 (-25%)

51m for JW

16.3m

13.9m (+1% w/o previews)

11m (-20%)

41.2m for Ted 2

Agree with your prediction for all three. Kind of a letdown from hoping all 3 would go well over $50m, but it is what it is. Box office cooled off a little bit from the last two weeks and that is OK.

• Like 1

Ted 2's marketing and reviews are a bit worse than the first, and the novelty is obviously gonna be less, but the first was so big (220 million) and did so stupendous on home video that you had to figure it would at least match the first on opening weekend, though not in total. If it finishes below Ted 1, there's no way to argue that isn't disappointing- and that at least some of the disappointment isn't a product of such crazed spending the past two weekends (whereas Ted had a relatively average June it opened in). 

Per Fandango yesterday, Ted 2 was outselling Ted 1 at the same point in its sales cycle, not to mention it’s one of the June releases together with Jurassic World and Inside Out that’s driving the online ticket seller to a record month. According to Wednesday tracking, total awareness for the bear was running from the low to mid 90%s with females under 25 marking the strongest interest at 96%. Unaided awareness is decent in the low 20% range, again with women under 25 having the slight edge over guys with 22%.

http://deadline.com/2015/06/ted-2-max-jurassic-world-box-office-1201457325/

• Like 1

Ted 2's marketing and reviews are a bit worse than the first, and the novelty is obviously gonna be less, but the first was so big (220 million) and did so stupendous on home video that you had to figure it would at least match the first on opening weekend, though not in total. If it finishes below Ted 1, there's no way to argue that isn't disappointing- and that at least some of the disappointment isn't a product of such crazed spending the past two weekends (whereas Ted had a relatively average June it opened in).

I'd say lost novelty is the biggest factor.

Even people who rewatched it on home video probably found the foul mouthed teddy bear schtick less funny the second go around.

I'd say lost novelty is the biggest factor.

Even people who rewatched it on home video probably found the foul mouthed teddy bear schtick less funny the second go around.

Sure, but considering it did a 4x multiplier and became the second highest grossing live action comedy of the decade, one would expect that the sequel would at least be able to match its opening weekend. 

I haven't really followed box office and I kinda fell out with it, but I'm curious: are there any chances of Jurassic World reaching 2b? If not, what are some milestones that it will reach (1b OS, perhaps?)

I haven't really followed box office and I kinda fell out with it, but I'm curious: are there any chances of Jurassic World reaching 2b? If not, what are some milestones that it will reach (1b OS, perhaps?)

I dont see it coming close to 2B WW. Max to me is 1.7B. 1B OS looks probable to me. This weekend should confirm it.

So I watched something really good. It was the first episode of a new show called Mr. Robot.

Anyone else catch it? I loved it. It was very well made, very interesting, realistic, and entertaining. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it, but if anyone was thinking about giving it a shot, I strongly recommend it!

• Like 2

I hope Ted hits 50M, there really wasn't anything "wrong" with the movie, so theoretically I wouldn't expect the word of mouth to be any worse. Novelty has worn off? Competition?

So I watched something really good. It was the first episode of a new show called Mr. Robot.

Anyone else catch it? I loved it. It was very well made, very interesting, realistic, and entertaining. I won't say any more so as not to spoil it, but if anyone was thinking about giving it a shot, I strongly recommend it!

Yup, watched it last week. It is a pretty good pilot.

Might go over to a friends house and watch 22JS and then go out to Ted 2...

God damn I don't want to wait to see Inside Out though

Have you seen 22JS? Worth watching for sure. And while Inside Out is better than Ted 2, you'll still have a fun time.