Minions  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

about as middle of the road as it could possibly be. some laughs here or there. I think the fact that they actually gave the main minions distinct personalities is a plus. I could actually tell which was which and I didn't expect it. but whatever. saw it on friday and it's basically almost totally out of my brain already.

My expectations were soo incredibly low that it exceeded them? :P It's actually better than the completely stupid DM2. Bob Minion is a doll and kids and young women are gonna lap him up if the crowd at my showing were any indication. The Overkills were cool too, if underused and underdeveloped. Hope to see them in Minions 2 or DM3. Loved the 60's setting and aesthetics.

Having said that, the writing is mind numbingly lazy. But frankly speaking, I expected worse after DM2 (that IMO is still the nadir of this franchise), so yay I guess?

• Like 2

Its a very watchable and passable form of entertainment. Its kind of like a quick candy bar while you're checking out at an isle. There's not much substance (obviously) but its a quick bit of satisfaction. Not all of the bits hit as well as the others, and the movie loses a lot by not having Gru and the kids, but it keeps you entertained.

Its not as good as DM2, and doesn't come close to the surprise delight DM1 was, but its serviceable and kids will eat it up.

C+ if you don't have kids, B if you do.

So I'll average it at B-

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 2

It is not a bad movie but it is very lazy. It has funny moments and it is cool seeing Gru at the end. Michael Keaton's family is a highlight but they are not in it very long. This franchise needs to step up if they want to achieve the heights of DM1 again. B-

It is not a bad movie but it is very lazy. It has funny moments and it is cool seeing Gru at the end. Michael Keaton's family is a highlight but they are not in it very long. This franchise needs to step up if they want to achieve the heights of DM1 again. B-

I think they could up the ante in DM3. And bring something emotional and heartwarming.

We still got Gru and the girls.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

Dm1 wasn't that good anyway, Megamind was better

Some funny stuff in the opening (namely the family and the Minion history montage), as well as a few fun visual choices throughout (the bedtime story and opening credits in particular), but otherwise it's pretty unimpressive and forgettable, yet ultimately inoffensive and harmless. Just plain okay.

I love the minions. I think they are cute and adorable and I can't help it if they make me laugh.

But man, was this a missed opportunity. The basic idea isn't a bad one, but they whiffed on almost every pitch right over the plate.

And I know it's a kids movie but fuck, it's really foddamn stupid. Bob becomes king because he pulls he sword from the stone???

Oh well.

Loved it!

Surprised almost no one mentioned the very heartwarming scenes in it - especially the bond they showed between them as a tribe.

Scene of Bob in front of the mirror imagining his tribe and missing him was brillaint.

Brief backstory of Scarlett as an angry abandoned girl was very nice, her holding her drawing as a kid and designing her dress based on it - very nice

So many creative pop culture references

Great soundtrack

Really funny and enjoyable - enjoyed it way more than AoU or FF7

Loved the character designs and slapstick comedy in it.

I absolutely abhorred this movie. Want to know why? There was one scene that made me and my friend chuckle; the one with the robber family. They had decent heart to them and their antics actually managed to be even more funny than the Minions' in other movies. I was thrilled; maybe this movie could be actually decent? Nope. We're gonna shoo them out of the film after a measly five minutes of screentime to move onto Sandra Bullock reading lines dully with a boring character and rehashing jokes from Shrek 2 and other "great" sources. You know how generic the jokes are? There's a fucking "Vincent Adultman" joke that is played completely straight!

There isn't even a plot to this movie, things just happen and the Minions do stupid things in response! In the last fifteen minutes, one of the Minions (Kevin, I think) finally realizes, oh wait, this is a movie, and we need a proactive protagonist, so he finally starts actually moving a plot forward, but by then, we've already gone through a Keynote presentation fight with 50 unique villains that was boring, a nonsensical getting in with a good villain, a really awkward dance scene that I can't imagine being funny for anyone, generic British/old/Queen stereotypes, and the absolute worst depiction of the royal lifestyle. And to top it all off, Bob gets a reward for giving the crown to Scarlet Overkill? 

Fuck this movie. I thought I hated the other Despicable Me movies, but they were pretty much just annoyingly popular rather than being outright bad. This film is offensively juvenile and one of the worst I've ever seen. The only thing keeping it from the bottom of the year so far is fucking Paul Blart 2. Awful. Just awful. F

• Like 1