#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

I feel like you're looking at 90s filmmaking from a 21st century perspective. Studios didn't necessarily expect summer films to be big tentpoles -- though of course they were happy when they turned out to be. Unless they were runaway productions that went way over budget, if you had a budget in the high 30s/low 40s a gross of 70-80m was pretty good. This would've been particularly true for an R-rated movie that, while it had a good cast, didn't have any giant stars, and if anything, was more of an ensemble drama built around some dangerous events than anything else.

CLIFFHANGER, for example, only made $8m more than BACKDRAFT (domestically), even though the budget was way, way higher and even though it starred one of the bigger names in movies at the time (though he wasn't at the pinnacle of stardom).

And Cliffhanger was considered a hit at the time, though it was also an international co-production, and made a lot of cash overseas, like a lot of Stallone's films did.

• Like 1

I wonder how long we'll be in the age of mega budgets and attempt at unified universe storytelling. Obviously until the end of the decade, and likely at least another few years into the 2020's. At that point I wonder if TV serials and services like Netflix will have become the default venue for anything that probably would have been a small-mid budget movie in the 90s.

But Cliffhanger did great overseas from what I remember

Oh sure, it did much better than BACKDRAFT internationally. But in terms of budget multipliers, they ended up around the same:

Cliffhanger: 3.64x its production budget worldwide

Backdraft: 3.45x its production budget worldwide

Oh sure, it did much better than BACKDRAFT internationally. But in terms of budget multipliers, they ended up around the same:

Cliffhanger: 3.64x its production budget worldwide

Backdraft: 3.45x its production budget worldwide

hey how'd we get out of there?

i think we did some sweet moves from that movie backdraft.

i never saw backdraft.

...me either.

• Like 1