#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

Yes, there are other factors (population, how often people went to the movies in general, etc.) but price inflation is a good start.

Theater/screen saturation is important to note too. These films sold more tickets from a smaller population, with fewer theaters and far fewer screens. I remember that in the days before megaplexes and Fandango, my parents were always wary about going to see a film on opening weekend, because of the risk of waiting in line only to find out the showing we wanted was sold out, and having to wait around for up to two hours for the next showing (depending on whether said movie was on two screens, or just one).

I seem to remember us buying advance tickets for Batman Forever the morning of, and waiting in a massive line around the building just for ticket holders, before our auditorium opened up.) We did sometimes buy tickets at the BO for a showing two hours out, get dinner, then come back.

Part of the blessing/curse of more theaters and presales is that films open bigger, but legs are that much weaker because there aren't as many people waiting it out. (Not the only reason, I know, the Internet and all, just interesting.)

It's a totally different ballgame for sure. Recent years have even completely changed the game when it comes to tracking sellouts. I would guess TA2 was playing on around 15,000 screens. IM3 played on 13,200 and made almost $175m despite not really having the crazy sellouts that went on with films like TDK, SM3, and obviously anything before those. The expansion of digital projection has made it even easier for films to play on a crazy number of screens.

Hmm? Any guesses how much Minions could do OD? :huh:

There has never been an animated film with over $50M OD. Cause the highest OD for an animated film is TS3 with $41M

Since I'm predicting $125M for OW, OD will probably be something like $48M.

Of course, the fact that it's even approaching the original in popularity is still really freaking mindblowing

No question. It will end up selling around 80-85% of JP1's ticket sales from the original run. That is pretty fucking incredible given JP3 was down around 35% I think.

• Like 1

That still supports adjusting the numbers though otherwise you would again say JW is crushing JP & that's clearly not the case.

I think adjusting JP1 gives good perspective for both movies. JP1 was a friggin' monster. Nothing in the last 30 years other than Titanic and Phantom Menace is in the same ballpark. But by the same token it's pretty amazing that JP4 has bounced back the way it has from where the franchise dropped with JP3.

Minions now at 47.1% on MovieTickets.

Still several more hours until previews even start on the east coast.

well let 's see how well it does tonight. I still think 10 million would be a good preview number but now I'm expecting between 7.5 and 8.5 million.

well let 's see how well it does tonight. I still think 10 million would be a good preview number but now I'm expecting between 7.5 and 8.5 million.

$10M would be out of this world.

$7.5M would still be good enough for OW record, IMO.

I think adjusting JP1 gives good perspective for both movies. JP1 was a friggin' monster. Nothing in the last 30 years other than Titanic and Phantom Menace is in the same ballpark. But by the same token it's pretty amazing that JP4 has bounced back the way it has from where the franchise dropped with JP3.

Um, Avatar?

• Like 1

Rth is pretty much on point. Crazy that MMXXL and TG are down the same amount from last Wednesday given their 5-day IMs. 

I know I should know this but....IM's? I'm drawing a blank, didn't have my V-8 this morning.

Them being down isn't surprising WOM isn't great. Both were front loaded and should see strong 2nd weekend drops, TG moreso than MMXL. Mommies can take the kids to Minions and go into into MMXL.

I know I should know this but....IM's? I'm drawing a blank, didn't have my V-8 this morning.

Them being down isn't surprising WOM isn't great. Both were front loaded and should see strong 2nd weekend drops, TG moreso than MMXL. Mommies can take the kids to Minions and go into into MMXL.

Internal multiplier?

• Like 1

Um, Avatar?

Under 80 million tickets. There is a case to be made that The Lion King and Shrek 2 sold more tickets than Avatar due to the discrepancy in child ticket prices and the insane boost Avatar received from selling 80% of its tickets in 3D (not to mention making over $100m in IMAX).

Edited by redfirebird2008

We always say ticket price inflation, but i also think we should take it in notion that a lot of people watch movies illegaly and I mean a huge number of people does it. 20 Years ago you didn't have these option. Because i hear of a lot of friend 'I won't watch the movie in cinema, ll wait till it's online. I am not that crazy I am going to pay 10 euro's to watch a movie. So price inflation isn't the only thing, their are also thing that affect movies these days in a negative way....

red firebird, can you put the biggest films of the last 30 years in order, with the tickets and dollar adjustments that you think are correct (not BOM's)? I'm genuinely curious.

And if your figure is true, I'm interested in why did Avatar feel so much bigger? Just it being 3D? The fact that its total was as much due to long-term WOM and legs? Being someone who was out of the BO loop at the time, I heard more talk about Avatar than about Shrek 2. (Could it just be popularity being among adults and not kids that skewed the perception?)

Edited by TServo2049

Under 80 million tickets. There is a case to be made that The Lion King and Shrek 2 sold more tickets than Avatar due to the discrepancy in child ticket prices and the insane boost Avatar received from selling 80% of its tickets in 3D (not to mention making over $100m in IMAX).

Even if that's a more accurate estimate than BOM's, there is something to be said for people being willing to pay a premium to see a movie beyond the inflation adjustment of the original price. That's where the value of ranking the films by adjusted dollars comes from.