#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

IO 5, JP4 3.7, TG/MM2 2.7

Even if IO falls 10% today it gets 4.5m on Thu.

+15% on Friday gives 5.17m

+25% on Saturday, 6.46m

-25% on Sunday, 4.84m

16.5m weekend. -44.4% drop.

I am low-balling IO here and 45% is the max it will drop.

18m(-40%) is very reasonable.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Sad that Bullock character is getting a tepid response. Was hoping for Bullock vs Carell in DM3.

She was a missed opportunity in Minions. Her character was forgettable at best and I don't think its possible for her to return in DM3, she'll be a grandma by then.

• Like 1

Even if IO falls 10% today it gets 4.5m on Thu.

+15% on Friday gives 5.17m

+25% on Saturday, 6.46m

-25% on Sunday, 4.84m

16.5m weekend. -44.4% drop.

I am low-balling IO here and 45% is the max it will drop.

18m(-40%) is very reasonable.

I don't think an 100m+ animated opener will have this little effects on IO. I see it dropping at least 50%.

It's especially concerning when at the end of Minions

Gru freezes Scarlett and steals the crown, thus beginning his reign as the greatest villain. The movie openly acknowledges how weak she is in comparison, and you kind of feeling like snarking on the marketing that really pumped her up as this BIG BAD VILLAIN when really it's just a flimsy attempt to draw audiences with Bullock's "star power".

UK critics and Spanish critics were very nice to this movie, but seems like American critics are not having it. Of course, this matters absolutely none. What really matters is how much the general public eats it up, and how powerful the WOM will be.

• Like 1

I don't think an 100m+ animated opener will have this little effects on IO. I see it dropping at least 50%.

For that it will need a <10% bump on Friday. Not to mention last Saturday the movie dipped so it's Sat to Sat drop will anyways be good. What numbers do you see on Fri, Sat, Sun for it to get a 50% drop?

The top critics are destroying MINIONS, now with 42%. Anyway, the best part of the movie was 

G R U.

This! It was boring until that part. I don't inderstand how it's getting 70% overall on RT. And before somebody accuses me of being an IO fanboy or whatever, I haven't seen IO, it hasn't even been released here, and I love minions. But the movie was just disappointing. It's still gonna open big though. Not sure about the legs.

Edited by catlover
  • Like 1

For that it will need a <10% bump on Friday. Not to mention last Saturday the movie dipped so it's Sat to Sat drop will anyways be good. What numbers do you see on Fri, Sat, Sun for it to get a 50% drop?

I see something like this:

4.1m Thu (Minions starts showing at 6PM ao its evening shows will be reduced)

4.7m Fri (Minions really enter the market)

5.8m Sat

4.3m Sun

I'll be honest here and say that the whole Minions thing isn't just about Pixar fanboyism and it making "more money than IO" (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't take issue with it), it's also the fact that it will dwarf both DM and DM2, both films which are vastly superior, funnier and have a lot more heart and more than ANYTHING else: entertaining. Yes, DM2 has a mess of a plot, but it's very funny and sweet.

Minions is just lifeless at many points, and is just all-around forgettable. This is basically "Shrek the Third" all over again, but with the added bonus of audiences most likely willing to be much more forigiving due to this being a spinoff/prequel. Another lazy film making a shitload of money not by its own merits, but by the goodwill from the better films that preceded it. 

And just to get the gloves fully off, I personally liked Monsters University but... yeah it's the same case there as well.

It's especially concerning when at the end of Minions

Gru freezes Scarlett and steals the crown, thus beginning his reign as the greatest villain. The movie openly acknowledges how weak she is in comparison, and you kind of feeling like snarking on the marketing that really pumped her up as this BIG BAD VILLAIN when really it's just a flimsy attempt to draw audiences with Bullock's "star power".

UK critics and Spanish critics were very nice to this movie, but seems like American critics are not having it. Of course, this matters absolutely none. What really matters is how much the general public eats it up, and how powerful the WOM will be.

Ice Age kind of box office over again? :ph34r:

I'll be honest here and say that the whole Minions thing isn't just about Pixar fanboyism and it making "more money than IO" (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't take issue with it), it's also the fact that it will dwarf both DM and DM2, both films which are vastly superior, funnier and have a lot more heart and more than ANYTHING else: entertaining. Yes, DM2 has a mess of a plot, but it's very funny and sweet.

Minions is just lifeless at many points, and is just all-around forgettable. This is basically "Shrek the Third" all over again, but with the added bonus of audiences most likely willing to be much more forigiving due to this being a spinoff/prequel. Another lazy film making a shitload of money not by its own merits, but by the goodwill from the better films that preceded it. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like I said before, without Gru and his redemption through his relationship with his adopted daughters, I don't know how this spin-off could top the first 2 movies. If it does, then all those big numbers from the first 2 movies are solely coming from the antics of the Minions.

What I heard, this spin-off is full of action and slapstick comedy, and the story is more comic-book like or James Bond-ish (some egotistical villain trying to rule). But it's nice to see the royal Queen gets drunk in a bar after losing her crown to Sandra "Bollock."

Edited by zackzack

I see something like this:

4.1m Thu (Minions starts showing at 6PM ao its evening shows will be reduced)

4.7m Fri (Minions really enter the market)

5.8m Sat

4.3m Sun

that's,

thu -18% (5.0m wed to 4.1m thu)

fri +15%

sat +23.4%

sun -26%

Which will lead to a 50% drop.

Though me thinks that your Thu drop imo is way too steep, even in the face of Minions.

It's 2 Thursdays so far have been +1.1% and +3.9% (though during independence day 5-day).

So against a big opener I can imagine -5% or -10%. -18% seems too much.

Edited by a2k