CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Can someone explain to me the appeal of drive in cinema? I don't understand why you would choose to watch a movie through a car window, plus when you're outside the sound isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated cinema screen. We don't have this phenomenon in my country so I don't think I quite understand it.

To be fair, most modern drive-ins use a radio signal for the sound. If you have a badass car stereo, it could be fun...though I doubt the quality of the radio signal is anywhere near as strong as something like an audio CD.

What's wrong with July 4 for MMXXL?

Probably a not-small part of the audience was running around with family activities, not good for a "ladies' night" sort of movie. Horrible Bosses 2 wouldn't have touched the first in any case but Thanksgiving was an especially bad time for it.

Where's the proof any of these numbers were fudged besides bias?

Minions obviously owned the day time shows which is family centered, the rest of the movies played better in the evening than expected.

Edited by The Panda

You mean before the money started rolling yesterday? At one point RTH was saying $3.4-4m. :o:ph34r:

I don't understand why Disney would fudge IO on Friday. They really have no reason to anyway.

Edited by druv10

Can someone explain to me the appeal of drive in cinema? I don't understand why you would choose to watch a movie through a car window, plus when you're outside the sound isn't going to be anywhere near as good as a dedicated cinema screen. We don't have this phenomenon in my country so I don't think I quite understand it.

From what I witnessed last night it seems to be just a hang out spot, people were just casually walking around the entire film. Oh and the prices of concessions there was insane, $6.50 for a small popcorn? It was a pretty miserable time, I'll stick to regular theaters from now on.

I don't understand why Disney would fudge IO on Friday. They really have no reason to anyway.

$350m is a good target. Maybe they also figure Minions legs won't be good and that gives IO a better chance to win the Animation title this year (worth fudging in any case).

To be fair, most modern drive-ins use a radio signal for the sound. If you have a badass car stereo, it could be fun...though I doubt the quality of the radio signal is anywhere near as strong as something like an audio CD.

Wait so you don't even get big expensive high quality Dolby Digital cinema speakers, you have to use your own car speakers? This is sounding worse and worse...  :lol:

it sounds no different (or perhaps even worse) than simply putting a laptop in your car and playing it through the car speakers.

I think both IO AND JW were attached to Minions driveins. Which means, incredibly enough, the gross of the driveins is applied in total to Minions and in total to whatever's attached. Massive fudging but we've seen it a lot this year alone. No bias here- the number makes as little sense for IO as it does for JW.

I'm not complaining, though. Great result for IO all things considered. Sub-40% drop against Minions!!

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 2

Wait so you don't even get big expensive high quality Dolby Digital cinema speakers, you have to use your own car speakers? This is sounding worse and worse...  :lol:

it sounds no different (or perhaps even worse) than simply putting a laptop in your car and playing it through the car speakers.

Screen is much bigger though and you pay a pretty low price for the movie itself. Rentals cost a similar amount to watch on TV or computer.

From what I witnessed last night it seems to be just a hang out spot, people were just casually walking around the entire film. Oh and the prices of concessions there was insane, $6.50 for a small popcorn? It was a pretty miserable time, I'll stick to regular theaters from now on.

$6.50 is the standard price for small popcorn in every cinema here. How cheap is popcorn usually in America? :o

$350m is a good target. Maybe they also figure Minions legs won't be good and that gives IO a better chance to win the Animation title this year (worth fudging in any case).

Meanwhile, The Good Dinosaur gets released and shocks us all by making 400m. :P

Screen is much bigger though and you pay a pretty low price for the movie itself. Rentals cost a similar amount to watch on TV or computer.

Oh okay, if it's much cheaper than I understand why you'd pay less for a lower quality experience. I didn't realise that, thanks.

As per your question Panda. Gopher said that minions was forged by 400k. So now everybody is on the fudge bandwagon.

• Like 1

Its just tradition. Drive ins are a nice alternative. In Charleston every Friday night they play a movie in the square where people bring towels, lawn chairs, picnics, etc, and sit on the grass and watch something on an inflatable screen. Its really fun. Yes the quality, audibly and visually, takes a hit, but no one really cares. Its a nice change of pace from being in the cooped up theater, especially on a breezy and mild Fall night.

Then the bars are just a trek across the street.

• Like 1

I think both IO AND JW were attached to Minions driveins. Which means, incredibly enough, the gross of the driveins is applied in total to Minions and in total to whatever's attached. Massive fudging but we've seen it a lot this year alone.

I'm not complaining, that's a great result for IO all things considered. :)

But you were complaining just minutes ago because of JW? 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

I'm not sure 100 or 200k will make that much of difference towards 350M.