CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

We don't remove them from the main forum. Just either try to search or just scan back to around the right time. What thread(s) are you interested in reading?

JW weekend thread, I found it but I can't read it...it won't allow me.

Edited by Bishop54

I nearly considered seeing JW for the 6th time but decided to check out a nice brazilian movie instead music to my ears, no globo channel in france so I'm losing my ease to understand a little so every now and then I'll rewatch a brazilian novela on YouTube just to refresh my memory
the movie had french subtitles so I kinda cheated I don't usually need them to understand.

the movie original title is "que horas ela volta" (in english they called it the second mother) its about this maid who's daughter comes to live with her for a while until she passes entrance exam to architecture school slight mayhem ensues with her mom bosses

I also watched a movie with zoe saldana and mark ruffalo called  infinitely polar bear it was cute!

Edited by Minion for RDJ TONY STARK

Matinees are very very healthy today for top 3. Expect nice things later.

By "nice things" do you mean a solid $40M Saturday for Minions or an animation OW record reviver Saturday of $44M+?

Edited by superduperm

Matinees are very very healthy today for top 3. Expect nice things later.

It is 1 AM over here. I hope to get some numbahs before going to sleep.

Yeah, our kids are absolutely stupid and dumb because they decided to see The Nut Job which opened in early August and was the main family movie of the biggest month of the year.

Nice reading the wrong thing I was saying into it. I've seen The Nut Job and while I'm aware it's probably a better family movie than HTTYD2, it's still a shitty movie. Your kids aren't stupid and dumb; it's probably the fault of scheduling since there was NO family movies last summer anyway, I'd probably take my kid to see The Nut Job too.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed at you, but the attitude that "Minions are fine for kids, they aren't made for adults" is dumb. Kids are way smarter than a lot of animation studios give them credit for. That's why I'm happy we've got Disney, Sony, and DreamWorks all delivering them something for them to really love and get attached too, unlike the fads of Illumination and the other dime-a-dozen studios. Note that I don't mention Pixar: even though I like Inside Out's run, I'm continuously shocked that kids are liking the film, because a lot of the jokes do go above their head, along with the central message of the film being mature even for an animated film. Whatever, I'm probably a bit too passionate about this issue since I've always been into animation and I also work with children, but to write off a film medium as "just for kids" is devaluing the level of children's intelligence and comes off as insulting to those older folks who do like their animation. Maybe that's just me though.

• Like 1

Nice reading the wrong thing I was saying into it. I've seen The Nut Job and while I'm aware it's probably a better family movie than HTTYD2, it's still a shitty movie. Your kids aren't stupid and dumb; it's probably the fault of scheduling since there was NO family movies last summer anyway, I'd probably take my kid to see The Nut Job too.

Also, this isn't necessarily directed at you, but the attitude that "Minions are fine for kids, they aren't made for adults" is dumb. Kids are way smarter than a lot of animation studios give them credit for. That's why I'm happy we've got Disney, Sony, and DreamWorks all delivering them something for them to really love and get attached too, unlike the fads of Illumination and the other dime-a-dozen studios. Note that I don't mention Pixar: even though I like Inside Out's run, I'm continuously shocked that kids are liking the film, because a lot of the jokes do go above their head, along with the central message of the film being mature even for an animated film. Whatever, I'm probably a bit too passionate about this issue since I've always been into animation and I also work with children, but to write off a film medium as "just for kids" is devaluing the level of children's intelligence and comes off as insulting to those older folks who do like their animation. Maybe that's just me though.

But Minions are made for kids  AND adults. I know a lot of adults that love them. 

• Like 1

Because Blanks is acting like a dumb little kid. I like him but he is absolutely unbearable this weekend because of a fucking kids movie.

<_< You want me to act like a dumb little kid? Cause I definitely can. I've just been acting like an angsty teen, which admittably is a bit young for me but still.

18% is way too harsh of a Saturday drop for Minions. I'm trying to find a Saturday drop above 10% for an animated film not named the Simpsons Movie and can't find one...

Sunday drop might be too harsh as well. Although DM1 did drop 31%

I was looking at MU's Saturday drop and DM2's Thursday drop and averaged them a bit together to get 18%. Pretty sure Minions is frontloaded based off of everyone's comments here so hence my predict

Disney may never have the chance to do so... because literally the songwriters of Frozen themselves have been working on pretty much "Inside Out: The Musical" (but not really) for over a year now: http://www.playbill.com/news/article/will-robert-lopez-and-kristen-anderson-lopezs-up-here-musical-bow-on-broadw-322041

Oh, I don't want a musical, lol. I want a stage show in the vein of 12 Angry Men, except more like 5 Emotional... Emotions :P

Nemo wasn't the main character in Finding Nemo either, when you think about it. He was A main character, but the film was really more of Marlin's journey, wasn't it? And Dory was the breakout character, she appealed and endeared to everyone - giving her a bigger focus isn't like giving Mater a bigger focus, everyone loved Dory.

This isn't like the Minions without Gru/Margo/Edith/Agnes, or the Penguins without Alex and Marty. There have been other sequels where the deuteragonist or breakout main supporting character got more into the forefront and it wasn't a "Mater in Cars 2" situation, haven't there?

Monsters U worked out pretty well, and that has Mike in the lead over Sulley.

Everyone moved to the BvS thread

GAH ANOTHER TRAILER TO AVOID D:

;)

But Minions are made for kids  AND adults. I know a lot of adults that love them. 

You ask the Illumination guys, they'll tell you they make Minions for the kids. The only "adult joke" in any sense of the word in the first DM is a Lehman Brothers name drop. That's in the vein of Happily N'Ever After's endless double entendres or The Nut Job's... NutJobiness. Maybe some adults like them, but I'm sure there are some adults who like Happily N'Ever After, The Nut Job, or Doogal.

The point is the main demographic Minions is made for is the little kids, whereas movies like Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and The Croods are made for kids 7-12, so there's more chance for crossover appeal and actual clever humor

• Like 1