CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Great for IO and JW. Good for Minions too but I hope it doesn't get to the record. I'll like Dory to be the one to finally beat that record.

Btw, talking about old weekend threads, is the DH2 OW/main thread still here? I would love to see the reactions of members to its abnormally high numbers and then abnormally high drops.

No one was really surprised by the drops. The insane midnight and then Friday night business was just a lot of fun to track. Into the wee hours of Saturday morning there were many of us thinking it might reach $100m for the day. Came up $9m short. So close, but so far away. The rest of the weekend was predictably frontloaded as hell.

• Like 2

Not so sure we can directly compare JP4 to TA1's late run. Disney re-expanded it when the film was already just about dead at $618m. They put it in over 1,700 theaters and it made another $5m. I doubt Universal will do the same thing, so JP4 would need even stronger holds to have the same kind of multi the rest of the way as TA1.

True. I don't think UNI would do that for JW. They didn't even do anything for FF7 to get pass TA WW (it's very likely to get pass that by itself with the final WW update though).

Edited by KATCH 22

Is it just me or has Ted 2 just got no love from Minions' money? It's from the same studio so surely it should get some scraps.

Universal probably just gave up on it. Produced by RMC, so the incentive just isn't there. 

They are definitely at this moment refocusing on having it be a hit on home video/digital, so all the better to let it die sooner than later.

• Like 1

True. I don't think UNI would do that for JW. They didn't even do anything for FF7 to get pass TA WW (it's very likely to get pass that by itself with the final WW update though).

They might for JW and I hope they do. Beating Titanic for #2 Dom is a huge deal. Furious 7 made just over half of that.

• Like 1

No one was really surprised by the drops. The insane midnight and then Friday night business was just a lot of fun to track. Into the wee hours of Saturday morning there were many of us thinking it might reach $100m for the day. Came up $9m short. So close, but so far away. The rest of the weekend was predictably frontloaded as hell.

I remember that it was interesting to track

Not so sure we can directly compare JP4 to TA1's late run. Disney re-expanded it when the film was already just about dead at $618m. They put it in over 1,700 theaters and it made another $5m. I doubt Universal will do the same thing, so JP4 would need even stronger holds to have the same kind of multi the rest of the way as TA1.

Does Legendary have any kind of influence to JW's run? They almost always extend their movies' run so if they can then they will most likely do the same for JW, even if it's lower than TA's 1700 additional screens. 

You may be right, But even though it was obvious that it was going to be really frontloaded, I would still have definitely hoped for at least a 180m weekend and it remaining on top for atleast 1 more weekend...

It could sprout late dino legs.  And if it comes within within 10m of it, I can see Universal pushing it.

I'd like to see 650. They will probably have to push it to get there. Lot of competition for screens and similar demographics with Ant-Man, Pixels, Mission Impossible, etc.

I get the admission talk, I use it myself but that only applies for films within the same decade. Titanic was a different era, there weren't as many releases than today. It's impossible these days to remain on top more than a month. Then again Titanic didn't have 3D and etc. JW is victorious by passing TA in my book whether it passes Titanic really doesn't matter.

• Like 1