CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Rolling Thunder over at KJ (involved in theater tracking) says that Pixels tracking has slowed down a troubling amount, and he thinks 35m OW may be in question. Awareness seems really high, which is weird. I wonder if the Sandler brand is hurting it.

Revisionist History 101

No, everyone really knew PP2 would make more than MM:FR.

Yeah, it was certainly the established majority opinion that PP2 would be bigger than MMFR (both in OW and total gross). I'm one of the biggest MMFR loonies and even I had PP2 outgrossing it. There were a couple of people who went all-in on MMFR and a couple who really low-balled PP2, but they were the exceptions.

• Like 1

Even though Shaun and the Sheep and Underdogs are animated films coming out in August, they won't even open more than $15M combined. In other words, they will not hurt Minions and IO at all.

those films will probably open less than 10 million combined. Shaun and Underdogs will probably be put into 700-1,000 theaters

I thought the general consensus prior to MM:FR opening was that it was going to bomb because it sat on the shelf too long, nobody cared about Mad Max, the film was being thrown to the dogs by being put in a crowded summer slot. Or was that only before trailers dropped? Am I misrembering?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 4

Rolling Thunder over at KJ (involved in theater tracking) says that Pixels tracking has slowed down a troubling amount, and he thinks 35m OW may be in question. Awareness seems really high, which is weird. I wonder if the Sandler brand is hurting it.

Pixels seems like a movie I would be all over if it didn't star Adam Sandler and Kevin James. Can't stand the two of them nowadays. If it were, say, Paul Rudd and Jason Segel in their roles, I'd be there opening weekend.

• Like 2

If Pixels disappoints, I think it'll have to do with the uninspired marketing. It doesn't seem clever like Wreck-It Ralph, and rather is just a collection of "Hey, it's that character!" moments, which may be the fault of the film. And well, Paper Towns beating Pixels would be pretty consistent with how these boy vs girl BO battles tend to go.  :P