CJohn

Weekend Estimates: Minions - 115.2M; JW - 18.1M; Inside Out - 17.1M; Gallows - 10M; Self/Less - 5.4M; MMXXL - 9.6M; T5 - 13.7M

Chris Meledrandi must have a Midas touch given he was involved with Ice Age when he was at Fox which turned out to a successful franchise and with Illumination he managed it again with DM as well as success with The Lorax, Hop was a disappointment but it still cracked $100m domestically

Illumination's model does prove you can produce cost effective animated films but aside from DWA, none of the other studios have tried cutting their costs for animation to the same extent. Peanuts from Blue Sky is $100m which is still lower than Pixar, WDAS and DWA but higher than Illumination.

Edited by Jonwo

Chris Meledrandi must have a Midas touch given he was involved with Ice Age when he was at Fox which turned out to a successful franchise and with Illumination he managed it again with DM as well as success with The Lorax, Hop was a disappointment but it still cracked $100m domestically

Not going to lie, I think Pets could be a fun movie. Louis CK has me on board and the trailer was funny (though none of it will probably be in the movie).

Just got out of Minions (Century at Tanforan, near SFO Airport). I went to sit out the horrible Friday traffic I'd have to sit through at to get home if I had gone home at 6. (I work from home on Fridays, but we had a company picnic today so I am on the Peninsula.)

It's harmless, but only mildly amusing. Felt like a 90-minute TV episode. Needed more Scarlet Overkill. I agree with the people who say Gru and the girls are the heart of the DM movies, take them away and you end up with kiddy fluff.

I liked the environments (especially swingin' 1968 London), they look great for $75m. And Illumination's designs are very 60s to begin with (lots of women with flip hairdos in all their movies). So it looked nice, but was the cinematic equivalent of candy corn.

Theater was pretty full, and got rousing applause. I walked out into the lobby and smack into a huge fucking line for another showing. So it looks like Rth is right, West Coast is cleaning up well.

I am going to see JW and IO again this weekend, at least I know I don't have to deal with crowds.

Not going to lie, I think Pets could be a fun movie. Louis CK has me on board and the trailer was funny (though none of it will probably be in the movie).

Pets has potential but only if Illumination isn't lazy with the story. It's in a tough slot though. the Garth Jennings film sounds interesting as well.

Oh, they will continue to do OK. This was bound to happen eventually. Nobody at Universal or Disney is crying.

Your showing of Genisys could be like my Jurassic Park 3D weekday showing where I was literally the only person there.

Edited by TServo2049