#ED

Monday Actuals: Minions 12.9M (-58%)

Yea MM2's run is a mystery. Maybe it's just been released the wrong time. It's hitting 75m with this pace, healthy total considering its budget.

It was always going to be profitable despite being double the budget of the film. Channing Tatum must have a backend deal as I can't imagine his salary for this was much higher than the first.

Such a perplexing run for that one. The first was an original film that opened huge but had no longevity. This one is a sequel that opened small and is apparently having fantastic legs. Doesn't make sense quite honestly.

It got close to a 3x.

• Like 1

WHAT IN GOD'S NAME HAPPENED TODAY

Minions 16.8 (+30%) 

IO 3.45 (+43%) 

Jurassic World 2.9 (+34%) 

Terminator 2.15 (+34%) 

Mike 1.85 (+44%) 

16.8M???? That is a ridiculous first Tuesday jump for Minions. Will probably go into the weekend with a 12M Thursday. 

• Like 2

Monday may have been deflated by something. It's weird when we have steep Monday drops followed by huge Tuesday bumps.

For the holdovers, I think last Monday was inflated by the holiday weekend. Some people probably took off an extra day from work, so it made this Monday's drop look pretty bad in comparison. Minions is just amazing for a first Tuesday though.

• Like 1

Monday may have been deflated by something. It's weird when we have steep Monday drops followed by huge Tuesday bumps.

I know many theaters have special promotions on Tuesdays. My local theater has 5 dollars movies and free popcorn all day. So it's often as busy as a weekend day or busier on a Tuesday. So I always expect decent increases on Tuesdays.

MMXXL still doing very good.

It looking more like it had a poor release date and now it making up for it

51.5m after 2 weeks of play vs. 72.4m for the original (-29% behind). Much better than its performance three days in (21.3m vs. 39.1m, -46% behind). Its dailies are catching up to the original's fast. 

• Like 1

I think IMDB and Cinemascore are more reliable because they measure feedback of those who actually saw the movie (cinemascore is a better polling system though not such a huge sample)

You are wrong about Imbd, you can vote there months before a film is released and it'd count.

Agree. And don't forget, IO was the first Pixar film, not to hit #1 on OW.

Basing judgement on ranking is a fallacy, since ranking is entirely based on competition, and there are many more factors to box office gross than competition.

Edited by XenoZodiac
  • Like 1