grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

also, Aladdin just needs a good trailer with a blue Will Smith [which is confirmed] and everybody will forget that horrible EW cover... i don't even think the backlash because of the cover is that relevant, majority of Aladdin target doesn't even care about it.

Literally everyone, or at least 90% of people on social media, were complaining about uncolored Genie. The only ‘positive’ thing said was how hot Jafar looks and the monkey, that’s it. I’d say a good majority cares and is complaining.

Edited by JGAR4LIFE

Just now, JGAR4LIFE said:

Literally everyone, or at least 90% of people on social media, were complaining about uncolored Genie. The only ‘positive’ thing said was how hot Jafar looks and the monkey, that’s it.

and i bet almost everyone who is complaining don't read the article which says the Genie will be blue / CGI and it's not on the cover because it's not completely ready yet.

like i said, they just need to drop a trailer with the CGI blue Genie and everyone will forgot about that horrendous EW cover

I think there was strategy with the cover. It was mostly a main cast ensemble photo. They felt they needed to show Smith's face for familiarity, not realizing the backlash on how he looked. Meanwhile (hopefully) when people see the real deal (Feb? March? April?) they will be pleasantly surprised.

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

There’s no reason to think this is gonna flop

Domestically i don’t expect nothing huge but under $ 200M is just dumb... this will probably land between $ 250-300M which is good enough.

But OS will be huge, the brand is much bigger than BTAB was... even with the strong competition it has a good shot at +600M.

WW could be anywhere between $ 850-950M and i bet Disney will be happy.

There's a lot of competition in foreign markets too. Big tentpoles like detective pikachu, godzilla 2, toy story 4, john wick chapter 3, secret life of pets 2, and x-men: the dark Pheonix are released within a close timeframe. It's going to be a real struggle.

1 minute ago, movieboner said:

There's a lot of competition in foreign markets too. Big tentpoles like detective pikachu, godzilla 2, toy story 4, john wick chapter 3, secret life of pets 2, and x-men: the dark Pheonix are released within a close timeframe. It's going to be a real struggle.

I feel like, even with SPIDER-MAN: FAR FROM HOME and THE LION KING, Pets 2 would be better served in the usual Illumination Entertainment spot in July.

15 minutes ago, movieboner said:

i don't think john wick and dark phoenix will be a problem

and godzilla is coming of a hated movie, it has to be really good to survive

4 hours ago, jedijake said:

Agreed. It should easily clear $200 million domestic by the 2nd weekend.

That said, the early and unfounded toxic online talk either has to die down or it will corrode the film's potential. That is just where we are as a society. The film is already a massive target for hatred and that could cost it up to $100 million domestic and who knows how much WW. Will Smith's appearance on the cover is also damaging and they will have to repair the sentiment early in 2019 with a killer pic or trailer with Will as the Genie. People don't read and most people missed it when Will said he WILL be blue. 

But I do think that in 2019, due to Disney's near monopoly on the film industry, there will be a LOT of negative online wildfire with the exception of End Game which is immune.

And watch-it will happen with Lion King too. Just wait.

I actually agree...people remember the negative, even if they don't remember the why...

Like with the "missing Han" in the 1st Solo trailer...everyone already was thinking the film was troubled and the actor couldn't play the role...and then he didn't show up at all in the trailer...the movie never really recovered from that 1st trailer...yes, yes, you can say "TLJ WOM"...but if the 1st look at the film had wow'ed, it could have changed the talk...but instead, it continued to dig the hole deeper...

Now, Aladdin is set up in a bad WOM spiral, too...its 1st preview will need to change the paradigm, or it could be set to fall just like Solo did...

1 hour ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Godzilla will still do well overseas so yes it will be competition. It won't make 200mil domestic though. That ship sailed when they made a bad first movie.

If it’s as good as what early test screenings claim it to be, there’s a chance it could make it past $200M.

I know trailer views not necessarily equal smash hit, but the teaser has a huge amount of views

YouTube: 23.4M

Facebook: 27.7M

Twitter: 7M

That's almost 60 million views just on US disney pages... i mean, even the terrible EW cover has 2.2 million likes on Will Smith instagram

This movie have a lot of buzz and the Genie will be blue [which is the major complain yesterday]... unless they drop a terrible first trailer there's nothing to worry about, it's just a bad EW cover, something that at this point is normal because all their covers are ugly. Those comparisons with Solo is just nonsense.

I think the only two real specific complaints were (1) non-blue Genie which we KNOW is because people didn't read the article and (2) the Yankees uniform Aladdin is wearing under his vest. Who knows where they are going with that. But those are two small complaints and one isn't even legit. Nothing about the movie. Set pics don't say much. The EW Captain Marvel stuff was ATROCIOUS.

No matter the film, whenever they show actors and actresses dressed in costume on the cover they all look like cosplay folks.

2 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

a64569cf-fa67-4e75-82d1-ae460dd41b68-Ala

Great pic! I can see Disney slowly (or maybe quickly) covering up the tracks in the snow that led to bad vibes by releasing more promising pics.

Trailer coming this month? Not much else is happening except maybe a Spiderman FFH teaser (not Disney) or SW IX's title drop.

21 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Great pic! I can see Disney slowly (or maybe quickly) covering up the tracks in the snow that led to bad vibes by releasing more promising pics.

Trailer coming this month? Not much else is happening except maybe a Spiderman FFH teaser (not Disney) or SW IX's title drop.

Probably won’t see a trailer until Lego Movie 2, maybe a Super Bowl spot.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Good thinking. We're due for that pretty soon. Likely near the end of the month.